Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nagoya: Nozomi to Ltd. Exp Shinano in 8 min? 2016/6/4 11:59
I'm looking at an 8mn connection between those 2 trains:
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=KYOTO&arv_node=...

The relevant part is:
08:52
09:00
transfer NAGOYA
[ Arrival track No.15 / Departure track No.10 ]

My understanding is that connecting from shinkansen to regular JR involves some amount of walking and exiting one train system to enter the other one.
How can I know if this connection is reasonable? It looks like I just need to move 5 tracks over in 8mn, which is ok if I don't end up in the wrong wagon, very far from the escalator/stairs (I'll have luggage to slow me down, so I won't be able to run), but if I have to go across nagoya train station, which I know is big, 8mn sounds hard to achieve.

Would someone know better?

Thanks, Marc
by marcmerlin  

Re: Nagoya: Nozomi to Ltd. Exp Shinano in 8 min? 2016/6/5 10:13
For me it would be no problem because I am familiar with the trains and station. But even for a person without familiarity of the station who is relatively quick, has no large luggage and has a valid ticket, it should be quite easily possible. However, for slow people who happen to be in unfavorable cars (location-wise), there is a certain risk of missing the transfer.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya: Nozomi to Ltd. Exp Shinano in 8 min? 2016/6/5 10:27
The transfer is not too hard, but don't waste time.

From the shinkansen platform, down the escalator, through the transfer gate and along the platform corridor. The Shinano track is quite close, and there is an escalator to the platform (for the Hida you need to use a lift). It should take five minutes.

If using JRP and there are slow people at the manned gate, it helps to be rude/pushy because the train will not wait.

Also (small tip), if you are doing a connection at the other end (I often change at Shinonoi) the Shinano trains do run late.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya: Nozomi to Ltd. Exp Shinano in 8 min? 2016/6/5 10:46
Thank you both.
Is there a way to find out which car I should be in when I arrive in Nagoya so that I can be close to the shinkansen exit?

As for the JRP, I'm likely not going to get it. It would save me a bit of money, but I do not accept the no nozomi restriction, on some routes, it adds a 1H delay in the worst case scenario and I'm not ok with that. I'd be ok paying a fee to be able to be on a nozomi with a JRP, but the fact that they want me to pay the full fare to be on a nozomi is just unacceptable. As a result, I'm very likely not to get the JRP.

For your other tip, I'm not going to connect, I'm going to Nakatsugawa do to the Magome - Tsumago hike. Looks like with a taxi at Nakatsugawa, I'll be on the trail around 10:30, and maybe off the trail around 13:00-ish, then taxi back from Tsumago to Nakatsugawa, get luggage from locker, and hopefully catch the 13:50 train to Matsumoto so that I have almost 2H to see the castle before it closes.
Sadly, I think it's more likely that I'll catch the 14:50 train and will arrive in Matsumoto by 16:00. That will be just enough to get another locker and see the inside of the castle for 45mn or so before they close. We'll then do the outside which I'm assuming can be done after closing time, and take a train later to Shinano-Omachi.
I did of course consider sleeping in Matsumoto and doing the castle the next morning, but if we do that we arrive in Shinano-Omachi too late to give our luggage before 11:10 so that it can transfer to the other side while we do the Alpen Route.

So yeah, it's pretty complicated, and that's why those 8mn were going to make a one day difference in the end :)
Thank you for telling me that it's possible in theory.
by marcmerlin rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya: Nozomi to Ltd. Exp Shinano in 8 min? 2016/6/5 10:59
I would just take an earlier Nozomi, they depart like every 12 minutes or so.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya: Nozomi to Ltd. Exp Shinano in 8 min? 2016/6/5 11:11
Yes, fair point, I could indeed just take the 08:05 nozomi instead of the 08:18. I feel kind of dumb not having thought about that :)
by marcmerlin rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya: Nozomi to Ltd. Exp Shinano in 8 min? 2016/6/5 21:52
8 min transfering no problem.

Ltd. Exp Shinano's reserved seat booking possible at Kyoto stn
or other major JR stns(with ticket office) also in advance
(reserved seat ticket sals starts just one month before)
in other areas KIX,Osaka,Nara,Kobe and more(nation wide).
But stay at Nagoya last night more comfortable also for money save
especially if Japan Rail Pass holder.

JR Nagoya stn map:
http://english.jr-central.co.jp/info/station/_img/nagoya_L.jpg
Transfer gates are North(N) and South(S) only.
http://railway.jr-central.co.jp/train/shinkansen/detail_01_01/unit_a.h...
N : car no.6 front door or 7 rear door (both are reserved)
(if non-reserved car no.3 front door closer car no.4/reserved)
S: car no.10 (green) or car no.12(reserved)
All Tokaido shinkansen trains are 16 cars using.
(car no.16 is front car for Nagoya/Tokyo)
Nozomi non-reserved car is 3 cars only(no.1/end car to 3)
Japan Rail Pass not valid for "Nozomi".

This is fr transfer gate to track no.2(far side) in late night/23:00s.
https://youtu.be/0lJiniQPbFY
by nelia (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread