Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fuji Five Lakes and Hakone Suggestions 2016/6/13 05:33
Hey guys,
I want to visit both Fuji Five Lakes and Hakone in november and I was thinking making it a 2 day trip as follows:
1 day morning JR Chuo line from Shinjuku-Tokyo to Otsuki and then Fujikyu railway line to kawaguchiko.
Overnight stay somewhere in Fuji Five Lakes area (maybe a hostel)
2 day early morning bus to Hakone and later that day i want to get on te 6pm JR from odawara to takayama. (from hakone to odawara by train or bus)
On both of these days I want to explore as much as i can (maybe i can rent a bike, or not via bus, boats,,etc).
Does this sound like a good itinerary?
I was thinking to get a Fuji Hakone Pass (without the roundtrip), is it worth it?
I will have a JR pass.
At this point I don't have my detailed itinerary planned for those days, I just want to know if I can get in, sleep, get out to takayama as i wrote above and maybe if you can make some suggestions financial wise.
Thank you!
by altaica  

Re: Fuji Five Lakes and Hakone Suggestions 2016/6/13 14:30
Not sure about the Odawara to Takayama at 6pm.

If that is the way you wanna travel. I'd sugest one night in Kawaguchi and one night in Hakone/Odawara.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fuji Five Lakes and Hakone Suggestions 2016/6/13 22:26
I highly recommend taking a boat ride along Lake Ashin and taking a cable car ride up to Komogatake. There's a nice shrine up there, and if it's not too cloudy you can get a really nice view of Mount Fuji. When I went I actually couldn't see Mt Fuji at first because of the clouds, but then they slowly moved out of the way and I got a great view of the Mountain surrounded by the clouds. There's also a great view of Lake Ashi as long as clouds aren't in the way.

The port you want to go to for the cable car ride is Hakone-en. And I know from Moto-hakone port you can get a single ticket for a one-way boat ride to Hakone-en and a cable car ride up and down Komogatake.

However, when I went, I just wanted to spend the whole day at the lake. So after the cable car ride back down I walked all the way back to Moto-hakone. It was a really nice walk because there was a nice shrine and an amazing torii gate in the water, but it took a good chunk of time. I am not sure of where the nearest bus stop is from Hakone-en since I walked all the way to Moto-hakone. If you want to save time you could go early enough to also take the boat back to Moto-hakone and walk to the torii gate from there.
by YT (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fuji Five Lakes and Hakone Suggestions 2016/6/14 02:22
@hakata14
I don't know what you mean about odawara to takayama at 6pm
Check out Route 4
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=ODAWARA&arv_node=T...

I agree that another night in Hakone would be nice, but I don't want to waste daylight travelling.

@YT
Komogatake sounds amazing, I'll try to get there.

Thank you both!

What about the Fuji Hakone pass? Is it worth it?

by altaica rate this post as useful

Re: Fuji Five Lakes and Hakone Suggestions 2016/6/14 06:56
I honestly didn't think there would be services to run from A to B for your suggested route that late. But there is which is good for you.

I would suggest googling the Wide View Hida and see why is isn't such a bad thing traveling in daylight hours on it. Some trains are boring and get you from A to B. Some are an experience in themselves while getting you from A to B.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread