Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido trip and hikings 2016/6/26 16:24
Hi
I am traveling with my wife to Japan for 16 days. We defiantly going to Hokkaido. We really love hiking and nature
How many days will you recommend me to spend in Hokkaido (we are going to rent a car)?
My wife is pregnant and we are looking for short mountain hikes (4-6 hours max). Can you please recommend us suitable hikes ?
Thank you !
by dor (guest)  

Re: Hokkaido trip and hikings 2016/6/28 23:16
How long you should stay in Hokkaido, I'm afraid, is almost impossible to answer! It took me almost two months and driving 10,000km to feel I had done it justice!!!

All I can say is that if you love nature, its a great part of Japan to visit!

But on hiking, Sounkyo Gorge is beautiful, as is Asahi-dake, the highest peak in Hokkaido. In both cases, they have a cablecar, so you can take it to the top (or close to the top) and maybe hike back down.

Tokidachi-dake was one of the best hikes I've done in Japan, but I really would not recommend it, especially if your wife is pregnant

You seem fairly experienced hikers, but if I may give something of a warning - Japanese mountains are STEEP!!! I've had keen hiking fiends from Europe totally exhausted hiking in Japan and Japanese friends say that hikes considered hard in Europe a piece of cake compared with mountain hiking in Japan...

There are several reports on Hokkaido in my blog, including on Sounkyo Gorge, Aashi-dake, and Tokidachi-dake:

https://myjapantravels.wordpress.com/2015/08/25/a-monday-in-hokkaido/
https://myjapantravels.wordpress.com/2015/08/26/asahi-dake/
https://myjapantravels.wordpress.com/2015/08/31/hiking-tokidachi-dake-...
by andy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido trip and hikings 2016/6/29 00:17
Thanks a lot for your reply. I will defiantly use your blog to plan the rest of my Japan trip.

I think to stay 7-8 days in Hokkaido, and another 9 days for Tokyo and Kyoto or Osaka.
I did a bit of research since posting this question.
what do you think of the following plan:
arriving to Memanbetsu airport (near Abashiri)
Day 1+2 - Shiretoko
Day 3 - Akan
Day 4 - Sounkyo + drive to asahi-dake area
Day - Asahi-Dake
Day 6 - should I add another hike in that region ? open to suggestoins
Day 7 - Furano + Biei
Day 8 - fly to tokyo from new chitose airport.

Do you think I should skip Shiretoko for spending time around Mt Yotel or lake Toya ?
Is any hike if 4 hours that you can recommend us? I find it quite hard to find the possible hikes around the national parks...

thanks a lot
Dor
by dor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido trip and hikings 2016/6/29 08:46
Plenty of hikes at Rebun-to

Also, no need to be "defiant" (you keep writing defiantly, which is well different to definitely)
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido trip and hikings 2016/6/29 09:17
Hi Dor,

The plan takes in some very nice spots, but it may be ambitious if you planning on using public transport to move around and you still want time to do plenty of hiking- Hokkaido is much bigger than people realise!

If you are hiring a car, its doable but you will be doing a lot of driving...on the other hand, Hokkaido is a great place for just enjoying the views out of the window.

Shiretoko is fabulous, but in completely the wrong direction. My gut feeling, therefore, would be to cut it out and use those two days to spend more time around Furano and Akan...

I'm afraid I am not much of an expert on Hokkaido hiking, but found this:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g319099-d734558-r10073385-...

Try contacting the Furano tourism office - they are used to dealing with foreigners and when I visited last year, actually had an American woman who is a very keen hiker working at the office - no idea if she is still there or not, though...
by andy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido trip and hikings 2016/6/30 17:58
hi
thanks for sharing
We will rent a car in Hokkaido for sure.

We have 16 days in total for Japan.
Do you think I should spend more time in Hokkaido or keep it 7 days in spend the rest in Tokyo area?

Thanks
by dor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido trip and hikings 2016/7/30 18:08
Hi Dor,

My wife and I are planning more or less the same trip- 9-12 days at Hokkido, with visiting the N/Parks of Shiretoko, Akan and Daisetsuzan at the end of September.

What are the planned dates of your trip? If still relevant we will gladly share our findings, here or by privet conv.
by Alex (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread