Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rails passes in Kyoto/Osaka/Tokyo 2016/6/28 22:52
We will be in Japan end of the year with our 2 young children. We will arrived in Kansai airport and depart from Tokyo Haneda. Appreciate your advice on the right passes to purchase given my itinerary below.

Itinerary :
Kyoto - 5 nights (places of interests, Nara)
Osaka - 3 nights (places of interests, Himeiji)
Tokyo - 6 nights (maybe around Tokyo)

Rail passes I plan to buy:
1-way Haruka + ICOCA (Kansai airport to Kyoto, Kyoto/Osaka/Tokyo)
1-way JR Shinkansen or Nozomi Shinkansen (Osaka to Tokyo)

Question:
1) does ICOCA covers the local subways and buses in Kyoto? Or do I need to buy a Kyoto local pass?
2) should I used ICOCA to Osaka, Nara and Himeiji! Or buy a Kansai Thru Pass? Which is more economical?
3) what is the difference between ICOCA and the Kansai One Pass?
4) may I confirm that ICOCA covers all (if not most) Tokyo local lines too?
5) if I were to add a day trip to Hiroshima from Kyoto, would it be better that I get a 7day JR rail pass?

by RobCSS  

Re: Rails passes in Kyoto/Osaka/Tokyo 2016/6/29 09:03
1) All public transportation in Kyoto is covered by the ICOCA, bar some buses (but the main ones you'll use should be fine).

2) This depends entirely on your itinerary, as the Kansai Thru Pass is only valid for a certain number of days. Design an itinerary first, then see if a pass is economical. You can use Hyperdia (hyperdia.com/en) to look up train fares.

3) I believe the Kansai One Pass includes some discounts as well as the ICOCA. Go with the Haruka package though, as your airport transport will be included.

4) Yes, the ICOCA will work everywhere in Tokyo. However, you will not be able to refund any remaining balance on the ICOCA in Tokyo - that can only be done in the Kansai area. Make sure you run it dry (can be used at vending machines, in some convenience stores, etc.). IC cards stay valid for ten years without use, so you can also keep hold of it for a future trip!

5) A trip to Hiroshima would likely make a 7-day JR Pass pay off if you also included your trip back to Tokyo. Again, use Hyperdia to calculate the fares to know if it will be cost-effective.

Side note: Kyoto and Osaka are so close that it makes sense to stay in just one city, and not both. Hotels also frequently give discounts for longer stays (usually there's an agreement that your room won't be cleaned as often). Himeji and Nara are easily accessible from both Kyoto and Osaka too.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rails passes in Kyoto/Osaka/Tokyo 2016/6/29 09:23
Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima
Hiroshima to Shin-Osaka
Shin-Osaka to Tokyo
Total 28,380 yen.

A 7D pass is 29,460 yen. You'll have to figure out how much more travel yuo will do within those 7 days to make the 7D pass viable.

For example, if you go to Miyajima and use the train to the ferry port location and then use the JR ferry. I'm sure you'll get you 1080 yens worth from just that leg of said journey.

How will you use the pass the other 4 days? Shinkansen to Odawara for day trip to Hakone? Train to Otsuki to transfer to Fujikyu railway to visit Fuji 5 Lakes area? Do laps of the Yamanote line to visit all the shopping areas within Tokyo?
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rails passes in Kyoto/Osaka/Tokyo 2016/6/29 09:31
Day trip from Osaka to Hiroshima and then also use the pass to Tokyo and then the airport - that would save you some yen.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Rails passes in Kyoto/Osaka/Tokyo 2016/6/29 09:47
Probably wont make it to the airport using a 7 day pass on a 14 day trip.

The cost of inner Tokyo to Haneda is peanuts anyway compared to other Airports.

I note you also are planning trips to Nara and Himeji, if you use JR lines, you will get more value from a 7D JR Pass.

Nara I would probably not used the JR pass for due to the low cost of getting there. But if you use the Shinkansen to access Himeji, then yes use the pass for that day.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rails passes in Kyoto/Osaka/Tokyo 2016/6/29 16:14
Many thanks for all your advices. They are very helpful in guiding me to where to do the research. Looks like the Hiroshima leg determines if a 7-day JR lass is worthy or not. I am moving from a Western hotel in Kyoto to a Ryokan in Osaka for a different experience. Don' t mind staying in Kyoto throughout as it will be inconvenient for us to travel with our luggages. However I am a bit late in booking Roykan in Kyoto (for Dec) and most are expensive or some distance from the station. Let me know if you have any nice Ryokan recommendation in Kyoto that I can check it out. Thanks all!
by RobCSS rate this post as useful

reply to this thread