Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

11 Day Kansai Region Thrawl 2016/7/2 13:58
Hey guys.

I'm flying into Osaka this November with a goal of getting in touch with temples; nature & outdoors.
Is it enough time for me to cover major spots like Kyoto; Osaka & Nara? While seeing some far outskirts like the Kumano Nachi Taisha Shrine & Koya San?

I am very concerned on the connectivity of trains/buses along with the actual travelling time.

Hope some of you experienced travelers can share some input. =)
by justckl  

Re: 11 Day Kansai Region Thrawl 2016/7/2 21:32
You'll have time to see them, but not experience each to its full extent. The major spots (Kyoto, Osaka and Nara) are quite close and very well-connected; no troubles there. Koyasan is a bit further out and the connections may not be as good depending on the time you travel. I don't know about the Taisha shrine.

I'd advise staying in just one area and daytripping out (except for Koyasan, which is best as an overnight visit).
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 11 Day Kansai Region Thrawl 2016/7/4 07:57
Kumano Nachi Taisha Shrine will also be a struggle as a day trip. It is easily accessible, but takes some time to get to. It may require you to do an overnight somewhere closer to it. It is a 3.5 hour train with a 30 minute bus ride from Osaka, one way.

I think your 11 days in the region will be enough. But adding in the Kumano area might just cause itinerary issues.

If you like beaches and are going in warmer months. Maybe 2 nights in Shirahama might work? Afternoon in Shirahama, full day for shrine, morning in Shirahama again. But is is a large portion of your 11 days used up.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: 11 Day Kansai Region Thrawl 2016/7/4 16:05
Well if you love the great outdoors you could do something crazy like trek from Nachi Taisha to Koya San. You certainly have enough days for it.

Days should be allocated as:
Osaka 1 - 2 days
Nara 1 - 2 days
Kyoto 3 - 5 days
Koya San 1 night
Total of 5 - 9 days
Sufficient to go to Nachi Taisha though it is a hassle to get to. As mentioned, staying overnight nearby like at Kii-Katsura would be appropriate.
You would still have time to see other places. How about Ise and Uji?
Does Himeji, Hiroshima, Kobe pull any heartstrings?
by Jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 11 Day Kansai Region Thrawl 2016/7/5 11:13
Hi guys;

Thanks for all the feedback.
I have taken the liberty to extend my stay to 2 weeks so I take it slow & absorb the culture.
I would be couchsurfing so I get to meet some cool locals.

I would consider other locations such as Himeji, Hiroshima, Kobe with the additional time on hand I guess.

Judging by the duration/location stretches;
Would it be wise to get a Kansai train pass? or just stick to buying tickets on the go?
by justckl rate this post as useful

Re: 11 Day Kansai Region Thrawl 2016/7/5 11:35
None of the Kansai area passes last for a full two weeks, so to use one you'll need to make sure your itinerary is organised in such a way that you can get maximum value of it. You can buy more than one, of course, but make sure it's cost effective.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread