Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yakushima in early April 2016/7/14 13:30
Hi,
I have some spare time in early April so I maybe go to Yakushima.

What can I expect of the island around that time of the year? Sakura blossoming? Snow? Cold? Can the roads be expected to be slippery?

by Jojo (guest)  

Re: Yakushima in early April 2016/7/14 16:40
Yakushima is a subtropical island. Not sure if it has ever snowed there.

Google search came up with average weather is 14c-21c in April.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima in early April 2016/7/14 17:09
It rains on average, once a day. Nearing the end/start of the year it becomes more frequent. Mid year it becomes less frequent.

It has snowed in Yakushima, cause the one time i went it did. Though it was in December and I was atop a mountain. The snow became rain as I was descending (colder up there). Met a Saitama couple. Quite easy to recognise due to the similarities yet being slightly different from Tokyo.

Probably won't see snow in April, mountain top or otherwise.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima in early April 2016/7/14 17:25
Well there you go. I had to go google it myself. Thanks for the info.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima in early April 2016/7/15 08:45
Expect it to be mild/warm near the coast, and also expect lots of rain (the geography of the island gives it a high rainfall). It also makes for lush forests and growth around the island.

As mentioned, snow would only be on the mountains in the centre of the island. I doubt it would snow anywhere with roads (too low/warm).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima in early April 2016/7/17 20:01
So I would be in no problem driving on the island during that time? What about the mountain roads? Are they lots of hairpin curves and large inclines?
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima in early April 2016/7/21 00:26
I have been there at the end of April. For me the weather was good not too hot or cold.

I drove around the island and the road is an easy drive. I did not drive up into the mountains.
by zeroibis rate this post as useful

reply to this thread