Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto in Fall - 2 full days itinerary 2016/8/10 12:47
Hello experts.
Will be in Kyoto for 3 days in November. Arrive on 18th Nov, Friday @ 5.30 pm, leave on 21st Nov, Monday, early morning. I have put together an itinerary - kindly advice if I should tweek it to utilise my limited time in Kyoto and enjoy the fall foliage.

I am planning to stay in Gion area (though not confirmed yet).
Interested in food, local life and fall colours.

Day 1. Friday : Arrive in evening. Spend evening in Hanami-koji Street in Gion.

Day 2. Saturday:
Morning: Start at Kiyomizu-dera Temple. Walk down Sannen-zaka and Ninen-zaka to Kodaiji.

Lunch: Suggestions?

Afternoon: Northern Higashiyama area: Ginkaku-ji Temple, Honen-in Temple, the Path of Philosophy and Nanzen-ji Temple.

Evening: Pontocho Alley.

Day 3: Sunday:
Morning: Arashiyama. Visit Tenryuji, Bamboo grove, Togetsukyo Bridge.

Lunch: Eat lunch downtown and explore Nishiki Market and the food floor at nearby Daimaru Department Store.

Afternoon: Tofukuji and Fushimi-Inari.

Evening: Kiyamachi-dori.

Day 4: Monday: Leave early after breakfast. 11 am flight from Osaka.

Kindly advice if this itinerary is doable and if there's any place else I "must" add to enjoy all that Kyoto has to offer in short 2.5 days in November.

Thanks.
by sasha dg  

Re: Kyoto in Fall - 2 full days itinerary 2016/8/10 14:35
Day 1: Looks like you're doing the reverse of this: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3950_eastern_kyoto_full.html

Make sure you start with Nanzen-ji in the afternoon, not Ginkakuji, for it to make the most sense! Also means you can do it on foot. Heian Shrine (in the middle of the itinerary in the link), is definitely worth a visit.

I've done the walking tour in the link, and it's possible within a day (I started at Ginkakuji at 8.30 am, and was done at 4pm). The directions are easy to follow.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto in Fall - 2 full days itinerary 2016/8/10 15:32
Day 2 - Are you planning to walk to the top of Fishimi Inari? If yes, then drop Tofukuji.

I would suggest using array of trains and subways on this day. As buses will cause a far bit of waste time considering your points of locations.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto in Fall - 2 full days itinerary 2016/8/10 15:47
Think what sq means is to walk from Kodaiji to Nanzenji. Going past Heian shrine. Instead of taking transport from Kodaiji to Silver Pavillion. This let's you see some nice architecture and Heian Shrine.

If not, you can start from Silver Pavillion and end at Kiyomizudera. Since Kiyomizudera is nearer to Gion and Potoncho that are known for the "night life" spots of Kyoto.

Your plans look good. I would do a night illumination walk if it is the season. Eikando and Chono-in are the recommended ones, though also the most crowded. (Eikando the more crowded of the two)
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto in Fall - 2 full days itinerary 2016/8/10 16:02
I think I will start with Ginkakuji and end in Kiyiomizudera, to catch the night illumination and then head off to Pontocho Alley.

Is Arashiyama and Tofukuji - Fushimi Inari doable in 1 day? Should I start the day in Fushimi Inari and then head to Arashiyama?

Also, is Airbnb legal in Kyoto?
by sasha dg rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto in Fall - 2 full days itinerary 2016/8/10 16:57
Mu recommendation for your luch.

Kikunoi, expensive but really Kyoto style.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g298564-d1663413-Reviews...

Moan, it is near Ginkaku-ji but as it were in another century.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g298564-d3612328-Reviews...

It is crazy hot and humid this summer, but it is said that
the autumn color is more beatiful when the summer temp.
is hotter.

Have a good time in Kyoto.
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto in Fall - 2 full days itinerary 2016/8/10 21:12
AirBnB is illegal everywhere in Japan, bar small parts of Osaka and Tokyo (where the host must purchase a license). New laws are on the way to change this somewhat, but they're still a long way away.

It's not you, as the renter, who will be doing something illegal; it's the host. However, it would be a risk to book an AirBnB as you could be kicked out if the authorities come knocking.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread