Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

To see more Rio Vic Ceremonies live 2016/8/12 14:22
Hi,

I live in Japan, and I love watching the Olympics Victory Ceremonies regardless of the winning country, but I like to see them live.

I love learning different anthems, I love the athletes, presenters and audience looking happy and proud, and I love watching them wasting time as they awkwardly move back and forth in anticipation. But TV generally focuses on the competitions, and victors of the country of the broadcasters (which is natural). Of course, they do reruns on the news, but those are only digested versions.

So my question is:

1. Is there a way to view/find more Victory Ceremonies live while in Japan, or do I have to wait until TV shows them by chance? It could be through TV (including BS and Cable) or the Internet, and it could be in any language.

2. Is there a way to predict when the next Victory Ceremony is being held? I ask NHK every year, and they say no. It would be great if there is a rough schedule or a way to guess, for example, something like "this sport usually holds ceremonies so and so minutes after the final game".

It just dawned to me that people on this international forum might be interested in these things as much as I am. I thank you in advance.
by Uco (guest)  

Re: To see more Rio Vic Ceremonies live 2016/8/13 01:00
http://rio2016.com/

The official Olympics website will always have information on any current competition that is going to hand out medals. Click on "Right now" on the sidebar. Also, refresh often, as there are a ton of events scheduled throughout the day, some which are over as soon as they begin.

In my country, using a different website I am able to stream my choice of sport on demand. There is full coverage, including medal ceremonies. In Japan the broadcasting rights are held by a consortium of TV networks. I have no idea if you can legally watch the events on the Internet in Japan. If that's not possible, you are at the mercy of whatever the TV networks want to broadcast.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: To see more Rio Vic Ceremonies live 2016/8/13 03:25
Thank you, Faiyez. However, I'm afraid that's not the information I'm looking for.

But a friend told me a couple of hours ago, that victory ceremonies are held at about 30 minutes after each final game, so I'll try to watch out for "news-sokuhou" and then switch channels around at about 30 minutes later, unless anyone can think of a better solution.

If anyone has any questions about my question, I'd be happy to answer.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: To see more Rio Vic Ceremonies live 2016/8/13 06:13
So you're more interested in the medal ceremonies, rather than the actual events...

You said that you were looking to watch victory ceremonies live. This is best done with on-demand access to the events. Also you might have missed the part of the website that allows you to do exactly what you asked, which is to know which event of the day is going to hand out a medal (after it concludes).

Hope this helps.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: To see more Rio Vic Ceremonies live 2016/8/13 12:27
So you're more interested in the medal ceremonies, rather than the actual events...

Yes. And I'm interested in ceremonies for non-Japanese winners as well as the Japanese.

You said that you were looking to watch victory ceremonies live. This is best done with on-demand access to the events.

If you know the address to an on-demand website that allows access from/in Japan, please let me know.

Also you might have missed the part of the website that allows you to do exactly what you asked, which is to know which event of the day is going to hand out a medal (after it concludes).

I think you're talking about information on schedules of final matches. I already had that information in Japanese language.

But for example, let's say you go to the official website and click "Right Now" or "Schedule & Results". You can learn that on Aug 14, there will be several Artistic Gymnastics games, and at 14:00 Rio time, Men's Floor Exercise Final will be held. Clearly, there will be a medal ceremony some time after that match.

But, from the website, you can't see the time the medal ceremony starts. And in past Olypmics, medal ceremonies often started on another day.

But like I wrote, last night I learned from a friend that at Rio they usually start medal ceremonies 30 min. after the final game, so now I'm able to guess better.

Actually, another problem for me is that Japanese TV only shows medal ceremonies live when a Japanese athlete is awarded (including siver and bronze). Luckily, whenever a Japanese athlete wins a medal, a news notice is shown on the edge of the TV screen. And luckily for me, many Japanese athletes have been winning silver and bronze instead of gold, so I get to see non-Japanese being handed gold medals and listening to his/her anthems.

But even medal ceremonies involving Japanese athletes are often not broadcasted live. For example, another day the medalists (including Japanese bronze) were about to take their first steps on the awarding stage when the MC interupted the show and said their broadcasting time is over! By the time I found out that another TV network was showing the ceremony, it was over too.

My question may seem weird when you look at it like this, but Japanese NHK TV used to show more medal ceremonies and I was able to enjoy foreign anthems and its athletes enjoying them. And I miss that very much. In the recent years, however, due to the high increase of the number of matches, they don't show as many ceremonies any more, at least not in long shots.

Hope it helps future posters to understand my question, and sorry for the fuss.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread