Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tateyama to Kamikochi hike questions 2016/8/14 14:16
Hello,

My wife and I are planning to visit the Japanese Alps again this mid September. This time our plan is to backpack from Tateyama to Kamikochi along the mountain route. We have however, a few questions.

1. Is it possible to hike from Ogizawa to Tateyama. Or are the Bus, Cablecar and Ropeway the only way to get there? How hard would it be and how long would it take?

2. How hard and long is the Tateyama - Kamikochi traverse? We have done quite some mountaineering and are both young and very fit. We are just worried about how clearly the path/route is marked and if there are vertical cliffs we will need assent/descend (or anything else that might have us plummeting to our deaths).

3. We will bring out own camping gear. I read that at the mountain huts there are spots for tents. Do these need to be reserved or are we free to camp anywhere?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Sebastiaan W
by Sebastiaan W (guest)  

Re: Tateyama to Kamikochi hike questions 2016/8/14 18:53
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Tateyama to Kamikochi hike questions 2016/9/10 00:29
Thanks for the link.

It is indeed a interesting read but more a travel story then much real information.

I was really hoping for some more 'formal' maps/trail route information. Are there any sites/guides/maps that show detailed trails including information as elevation changes and distances?

((Lonely Planet has a hiking special but it gives very little information. ))

It did (somewhat) answer the question on how long and how hard the Tateyama to Kamikochi trail would be, so thank you for that.

The question i'm still looking for is if you can hike from Ogizawa to Tateyama. I thought the cable-car was very pricey and we are looking for a alternative (walking :) ).

Regards,
Sebastiaan

by SebastiaanW (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread