Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Extend a working holiday visa or visa run? 2016/8/27 21:04
I have a plan with my partner to do a Japan WHV, starting next year.

We did something similar in Australia previously. We found that we needed about 12 months of working time to save up enough to then later enjoy the country and backpack around. Although we were able to do small trips around national holidays, weekends etc.

My plan at the moment is to spend the first 12 months working casual and part time jobs, then take a quick break to Korea, Taiwan or another neighbouring country, from which I can return and enjoy six months of tourist visa in Japan

My question is, rather than leave the country and return, would it be possible to move from the WHV to a tourism one by applying at an immigration office?

If I have to leave the country and return, is this acceptable for Japanese Immigration? How long would I need to be outside to avoid suspicion? Would proof of funds and an onward ticket ensure I get let through at the airport?

Thanks
by mankindmatt5  

Re: Extend a working holiday visa or visa run? 2016/8/28 13:23
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+94003

There was a similar discussion a few years ago, and to be honest I am not sure.

At least I know that the most you (I assume UK citizen) will get upon changing will be 90 days, and you need to go to immigration again to possibly get another 90 days (you do not get six months automatically).

And as the purpose of Working Holiday Visa is to help you travel during that one year or six months given on that visa, I do not know if immigration will allow a change while staying on in Japan.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread