Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Adjectives and adjectival nouns? 2016/9/18 13:53
Hi, both adjectives and adjectival nouns seem the same, they both descibe the noun, so what is the difference between the two group?

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!
by Bryan (guest)  

Re: Adjectives and adjectival nouns? 2016/9/18 17:44
Are you referring to the "i-adjectives" and "na-adjectives"? If so, they take different forms (conjugate differently, so to say), particularly when they are used as predicate of a sentence. They "behave" differently grammatically, so to say.

For example, take "i-adjective" (probably what you are referring to as "adjective") of "utsukushii" (beautiful).

- Utsukushii nagame desu. (It is a beautiful view. In polite speech)
- Utsukushii nagame da. (The same in casual speech).

If used in a predicate:
- Koko kara no nagame wa utsukushii desu. (The view from here is beautiful. In polite speech)
- Koko kara no nagame wa utsukushii. (The same in casual speech.)

They conjugate:
utsukushii (is beautiful), utsukushiku nai (is not beautiful)
utsukushikatta (was beautiful), utsukushiku nakatta was not beautiful)
..so "i-adjective" contain the "be verb" in it.

Take then "na-adjective," "kirei-na" which means, pretty/beautiful.
- Kirei na nagame desu. (It is a pretty view, in polite speech)
- Kirei na nagame da. (The same in casual speech).
You need to have the "-na" when it comes before a noun.

If used in a predicate:
- Koko kara no nagame wa kirei desu. (The view from here is pretty, in polite speech)
- Koko kara no nagame wa kirei da. (The same in casual speech.)

They conjugate:
kirei da/desu (is pretty, in casual/polite speech),
kirei dewa nai/arimasen (is not pretty),
kirei datta/deshita (was pretty),
kirei dewa nakatta/arimasendeshita (was not pretty)
...so "na-adjecive" needs the "-na" to describe a noun when it comes before a noun, and you need to add the be-verb when used as predicate.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Adjectives and adjectival nouns? 2016/9/26 15:57
Ohh okay thanks. But for the book that I am using to study, there is a part with the title "adjectival noun", in which na and i adjectives are under, and another titled just "adjectives".

Also, may i know why it is called adjectival noun and not just adjective?

Thanks in advance. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu
by Bryan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Adjectives and adjectival nouns? 2016/9/27 18:49
Then I don't know why they call both "na-" and "i-adjectives" together as adjectival noun :( I am not familiar with that textbook. Then what do they list under "adjectives"?

I always thought that only the "na-" adjectives are referred to as "adjectival nouns," because they "behave" like nouns, such as the use of "desu" or "da" after it to make it a predicate.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread