Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Smartphones, Wifi, and GPS Questions 2016/9/20 01:49
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are going to Japan at the end of the month. We're bringing our phones with us (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edges, if that makes a difference), but we decided not to go for sim cards and unlocking and all the stuff. Instead, we're renting Pocket Wifi from Japan Wireless.

My questions are:

Will our GPS still work if we're only using wifi with GPS on? Or do we still need to get sim cards to access 3g/4g whathaveyou? Also, if anyone has any experience, is it difficult to set up a pocket wifi?

This is actually our first time out of the country in several years, so we're not too certain how things work. So please forgive me if these are stupid questions.

Thank you.
by JohnathanEnder  

Re: Smartphones, Wifi, and GPS Questions 2016/9/20 10:04
Will our GPS still work if we're only using wifi with GPS on?

Yes, GPS technically doesn't require any connection except to download the maps and points of interest. Those can be provided either by a wifi connection, 3g/4g service, or by pre-downloading them to your handset ahead of time.

Also, if anyone has any experience, is it difficult to set up a pocket wifi?

Pocket wifi is super easy to setup. Turn it on, then connect your handset to the wifi network that is created. A password is usually required and the rental companies typically print this directly on the device.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread