Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary advice please 2016/9/28 20:30
Hi I'm really struggling with my itinerary for a late November trip and could really use some help. This is a second trip to Japan and so far my plan is:
Tokyo 2 days
Kanazawa 2 days
Nagoya 2 days including day trip to Kiso Valley
???? 5 days
Osaka 3 days including day trips to Kobe and Nara.

What could I do with those 5 days? We've been to Kyoto, Takayama, Shirakawago, Hiroshima and Okayama. I'm interested in Nagasaki and Kagoshima but worry that might be a bit far to travel in that time?

What do you think? Do you have any other ideas about interesting places to visit? Our interests are pretty wide ranging, just like to explore different aspects of the country.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
by Nic (guest)  

Re: Itinerary advice please 2016/9/29 12:00
Well, with 5 days northern Kyushu is possible.
Another option would be the Sea of Japan area (northern Kansai & Chugoku) from Amanohashidate to Izumo via Tottori/Matsue. Perhaps even ending in Yamaguchi.
If you dont want to travel far, there is always the area south of Osaka/Kyoto. Ise, Uji, Nara, Kumano Kodo, Kii-Katsura, Shirahama, Wakayama.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary advice please 2016/9/29 13:26
Thanks for your suggestions. Which of these areas would be easier to access using a JR pass? Would Shikoku be an option do you think?
by Nic (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary advice please 2016/9/29 15:27
maybe just Naoshima Island and Takamatsu instead of full Shikoku...? But not sure how that is in late November... During all other seasons but winter it should be great
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary advice please 2016/9/29 17:47
Kyushu is easier to access than many locations closer to Osaka. Northern Chugoku and Shikoku are awesome, but they dont have a shinkansen linking them, so many locations are 3+ hours away.

Fukuoka is 3 hours from Osaka, add 30 minutes from Nagoya. So if you have 5 days, you'll have plenty of time.
Kagoshima, Nagasaki, Yufuin, Beppa etc can all be day trips if you base yourself at Fukuoka. You can sightsee Fukuoka on your half dayss.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary advice please 2016/9/29 18:02
Yes my original intention was to use Fukuoka as a base. But I'm concerned that the day trips actually involve a fair amount of travel, e.g. between 3 and 4 hours a day to and fro, which I think will be very tiring.
by Nic (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary advice please 2016/10/4 16:25
Hello,
Might I offer the suggestion of Takamatsu/Ritsurin Garden in northeast Shikoku on your way to Kyushu. The JR Marine liner train leaves Okayama Station around every hour to hour and a half if I remember. The view as the train crosses the Inland Sea islands is spectacular and rather different from the Kansai countryside. Takamatsu city is an undiscovered gem; all of the modern along with a healthy dose of friendly. You and your money are very welcome in the noodle shops and shopping mall outlets (two miles of them), the specialty udon (sanuki??) is really good and a little less of a carbfest than average udon and the train station burgers (Lotteria) actually taste like American hamburgers (assuming that you have become homesick for that by then). Takematsu Castle (ruins) was a completely unexpected surprise and its gardens are the equal of all but the most elaborate gardens in Japan. Speaking of gardens; Ritsurin, ten minutes down the really cute train that terminates right in front of the Castle grounds is often considered Japan's fourth best garden, after the Big Three. I found it much more interesting and varied and the concept of borrowed scenery is so fully embraced like no other. I liked the natural waterfall coming down the mountain in back of the gardens.
A good visit to the central Takamatsu area where the port, Castle, shopping center, and best udon shops are concentrated; all within easy walking distance of the JR station; and a couple of hours at Ritsurin should be able to be fit into around six hours, from Okayama to Takamatsu and back to Okayama station.
Quick; go see it before it gets discovered and becomes overrun.
by johnnyman (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread