Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary winter trip 2016/9/30 00:33
Hi All!

I would like to visit japan on mid february 2017 for 10 days with my BF.
And i want to visit Tokyo, Fuji Q, Shirakawa-go, Zao onsen in yamagata for snow boarding, and will fly back to my hometown from tokyo.
I still confused to arrange the itinerary. But I will buy JPrail pass for 7 days, so to go to that place i will use shinkansen.

Day 1: arrived at haneda in the morning, tokyo sightseeing
Day 2: go to fuji Q and heading back to tokyo
Day 3: Tokyo disney sea
Day 4: Shirakawago, I dont think its possible to do return trip from tokyo to shirakawago (or it is possible?)
Day 5: Heading to Tokyo
Day 6: Yamagata - Zao, return to tokyo
Day 7: Kyoto
Day 8: Kyoto, return to tokyo
Day 9: Tokyo
Day 10: Going back home

I think my itinerary is messed up, isnt it?
Any suggestion for this winter trip?
by gamiyama20  

Re: Itinerary winter trip 2016/10/1 11:34
Well, I think you can rearrange it to make it much more efficient for sure!

For example, if you get a 7 day rail pass but your longer trips are spread out over 10 days, then it isn't as useful for you. So the first thing is to arrange it so you maximize your rail pass, putting all your long travel together, and then your days in Tokyo together when you wont really need the pass. Also, you're backtracking a bit here and there, so again, maximizing your efficiency.

For example, one option would be Tokyo to FujiQ Highland (stay overnight in the area, maybe enjoy a relaxing onsen with views of Mt. Fuji), continue to Kyoto for 2-3 nights , then head back north to Kanazawa from where you'd visit Shirakawa-go (stay a night at least there), then back to Tokyo. You could probably fit in Zao at the end of the 7 days for the pass to pay off, then just use an IC card or individual tickets within Tokyo and to visit Tokyo Disney Sea.

If you did want to do FujiQ as a day trip, that's also possible, but I'd add it towards the end and go do Kyoto and Shirakawa-go first to make sure the pass is used for those as well as Zao.

Note that you're doing a lot of traveling, and wont really see much in each area you're visiting. If you're determined to see those places, you'll get a small taste of them. But if you prefer to spend more time and really enjoy, then I'd recommend skipping either Kyoto or Shirakawa-go. Both have a lot to see/do in the area that you'd miss... Shirakawa-go can be combined with Takayama and Kanazawa, for example, Kyoto with Nara and Osaka etc. But of course it depends on your personal style of traveling, too!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary winter trip 2016/10/1 22:12
Thank you for the tips, much appreciated!

Another question, is it possible to go to zao for snow boarding for a day trip?
If not, should I stay overnight in zao or yamagata?
by gamiyama20 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary winter trip 2016/10/5 00:16
Also, is there public onsen in zao that open on winter? especially on february?
by gamiyama20 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread