Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rail pass for travel in Kansai region? 2016/9/30 15:35
I referred to one of your article on which rail passes to choose for Kansai region, however there's just so much information and it's hard to choose the best option to use during travelling.

So I was hoping someone could narrow down to maybe 2 or 3 options for me to explore on? More information on my trip below.

My mum & I will be flying in to KIX and plan on heading straight to Kyoto for 3 days (we don't mind stopping at Osaka to grab breakfast first) then travel back to Osaka for rest of the trip. It will be a 8 days trip covering Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Kobe & maybe Hikone. Seeing that it'll be the first time there for me, I plan on visiting most of the popular tourist spots in each city stated above which I've heard are widely spread? Thus I should think that taking frequent train rides are unavoidable. Lastly, we'll be flying from KIX back to KUL.

If it's possible, I would like to keep the travelling expenses as low as possible so any discount suggestions are welcomed!

Thank you in advance.
by kyb94 (guest)  

Re: Rail pass for travel in Kansai region? 2016/10/1 14:31
No, don't stop at Osaka to grab a breakfast. Too much hassle. Just have your breakfast at Kyoto.
At KIX grab Haruka+ICOCA combo to Kyoto (it gives u a bit of discount plus you will get an IC card which is a must ).
Link:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/icoca-haruka/

You can base in Kyoto for the whole 8 days As all the destinations you mentioned are quite close from kyoto, That way you don't want have to move your luggage too often.
As for PASS, you can get the 1 day kansai area pass on the day you go to Himeji, Link:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai/
It can save you about 2000 yen.
The other pass you may want to buy is the Kyoto Bus pass.
It will save you few hundred yens, depending on how many destinations you can cover in a day.

As for other destinations, i think buying the ticket individually with your IC card will be cheaper or equal to the price of a PASS.

by Ryuta89 rate this post as useful

Re: Rail pass for travel in Kansai region? 2016/10/4 18:24
Hey there,

In order to to save the transportation expense, you should list down all attractions and cities you want to go. Afterwards, comparing the required cost with what PASS offers, you will see the actual plan.

Hints:
- For 3 days in Kyoto, one day bus pass (500 yen/person) is sufficient. You can go every attractions in Kyoto by bus
- Kyoto to Osaka is very short, around 600 yen/person/one way.
- Kyoto to Nara is also short, around 500-600/person/one way.

by lnkhang rate this post as useful

reply to this thread