Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

October 14 day itinerary 2016/10/2 00:44
Hello! I would any appreciated any comments/feedback about my itinerary (using 2 week JR Pass). I'm in my 20s and travelling with a friend.

Day 1 - Arrive Tokyo 4pm, stay in Shinjuku
Day 2 - Nikko (day trip)
Day 3 - Tokyo to Hiroshima (stopover Himeji Castle)
Day 4 - Miyajima Island
Day 5 - Hiroshima to Kyoto (drop off bags and then day trip to Osaka)
Day 6 - Kyoto
Day 7 - Kyoto
Day 8 - Kyoto
Day 9 - Kanazawa
Day 10 - Kanazawa (bus) to Shirakawa-go (bus) to Takayama
Day 11 - Takayama
Days 12, 13, 14 - Tokyo
Day 15 - Depart Tokyo 5pm

My main questions:
1) For Day 3, is it ideal to spend 1/2 day at Himeji Castle and 1/2 day exploring Hiroshima (mainly peace memorial, museum, etc.)? How much time needed for Himeji Castle? I was thinking of storing my luggage at Himeji train station, see the castle, and then hop back on the train to Hiroshima.
2) For Day 11, is there anything worth doing in Takayama (hiking, mountains)? What are the main attractions?
by Kevin (guest)  

Re: October 14 day itinerary 2016/10/2 10:19
Day 3: Do you realise how long it takes to get to Hiroshima from Tokyo? You won't be able to use the Nozomi shinkansen (the fastest, most frequent service) on a JR Pass. You won't have much time in Hiroshima once you visit Himeji.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: October 14 day itinerary 2016/10/2 11:39
Hi sq - thank you for your comment. I have decided to visit Himeji on Day 5, when travelling from Hiroshima to Kyoto.

Approximately how long does it take to visit Himeji Castle? I hear it's a 15min walk from the train station
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: October 14 day itinerary 2016/10/2 12:09
Day 3 - Tokyo to Hiroshima is 6 hours. Even if you remove Himeji, you still dont have much time in Hiroshima.

Day - 5 Himeji would work, but as explained about day 3, you really need to use this day, or at least half day to explore Hiroshima, before heading off elsewhere.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: October 14 day itinerary 2016/10/2 13:08
Hakata, thanks for your comment! Considering the travel time to hiroshima, I plan to take the 7:30am train from Tokyo, arriving hiroshima at 12:30pm, and then using the rest of the day to explore the city - from what I've read, about half a day is needed to see the main sites in hiroshima
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: October 14 day itinerary 2016/10/2 20:39
Hi, I wonder if you're spreading yourself too thinly. Nikko can be done as a day trip but there's so much to see there that deserves 2 days at least, especially if you are there at the end of October when the autumn colour sets in.
3 days in Kyoto is alright.
I'm not sure why you want a day in Takayama if you don't know what's there, especially considering you are leaving only 3.5 days for Tokyo. Tokyo is the biggest city on Earth so you could do with longer there.
There's a page on this website about Takayama and all the places in your itinerary if you want to know what's there.
Regards, Richard
by RichardS81 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: October 14 day itinerary 2016/10/2 20:45
Alternatively, you could do all the hard travelling in one go.
Fly into Tokyo, take a plane or train to Hiroshima straight away, recover from your jet lag there, and then work back...
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread