Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Staying in a shukubo with tattoos 2016/10/19 18:41
Hello, sorry if this has been asked before (I did a search and couldn't find anything helpful to my situation).

I'm staying a night on Koyasan soon at one of the larger shukubo and I happen to know it's completely booked out, so the chances of running into someone in the communal baths are quite high. I'm not too embarrassed about being naked in front of my own gender, but I happen to have a lot of tattoos! Mostly western-style, but I do have one irezumi-style sleeve, and covering them is not an option (I'd basically need a reverse bikini to cover them all).

My question is, will I be booted out of the shukubo if I'm discovered bathing with all of this artwork on my skin? I'd definitely prefer not to sleep on the street in Koyasan in November...Will I be alright or am I better off skipping a wash for a day to avoid a potential conflict?
by asb (guest)  

Re: Staying in a shukubo with tattoos 2016/10/20 12:28

Probably you could wait till the late hour when many have taken their bath. You could be the only one then.
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Staying in a shukubo with tattoos 2016/10/21 06:17
Thanks, I'll try that! Do you think it would be bad if I got caught?
by asb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Staying in a shukubo with tattoos 2016/10/21 08:48

I'll try that! Do you think it would be bad if I got caught?

I doubt there would be any problem. I had seen a guy with "real" tattoos in an onsen where tattoo was not allowed, but no one seemed to care.
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread