Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are there gardens other than East Gardens? 2016/10/27 12:36
Hi there,

Does the tour of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo include private gardens that I would not see if I simply visit the East Gardens?

Or is the Imperial Palace tour purely a tour of the architecture and interiors of the palace?

Thanks!
by Chantelle (guest)  

Re: Are there gardens other than East Gardens? 2016/10/27 20:06
The tour does not enter any buildings (apart from some sort of visitor centre at the beginning where you watch a video and can buy some omiyage).

You walk the grounds of the palace, cross a bridge and hear a bit about all the buildings.

As far as I remember you don't get any additional garden access (apart from when the east gardens are regularly closed (on mondays?) and you could not enter it otherwise). Although I'm a bit unsure now. Maybe there were some minor gardens, but nothing breathtaking that you would call a miss if you did not see it.

The tour however is really nice and well worth your time :-)
by EvilKneavel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are there gardens other than East Gardens? 2016/10/27 22:01
Here's a detailed account of what I saw during the Imperial Palace tour back in 2009. Hopefully it will give you a good idea of what to expect, should you decide to sign up.

https://animeaffairs.wordpress.com/2009/04/13/japan-2009-day-2-report-...

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: Are there gardens other than East Gardens? 2016/10/28 08:34
Do a different tour. Looking at the palace from the outside isn't that great.

If you want to go to some gardens, Tokyo has several very good examples.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread