Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Differences - baseball game in Japan v US 2016/10/31 23:50
I'm from the UK. We don't have baseball.

I went with my family to our first ball game (at the Giants' stadium) in Tokyo earlier this year and we all LOVED it (thanks in many ways to help we got on this forum with tips on how to get tickets, where to sit, etc).

I have no idea of the subtleties of the sport, and only a basic understanding of the rules, but I loved the atmosphere, the singing, the friendliness of the crowd around us, the snacks, and the fact that you could get beer brought to you at your seat.

We're taking a break from holidaying in Japan next year, and have just booked to go to the US (New York). I know that a lot of the baseball fans on here appear to be from the US, so I was hoping that someone could tell me whether the spectator experience is similar in the US to the experience that we loved so much in Japan?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give.
by Winter Visitor  

Re: Differences - baseball game in Japan v US 2016/11/1 11:03
I live very, very close to Wrigley Field in Chicago and I've been to more games in Japan than in the US in the past 20 years. The atmosphere in Japan is much better. Fan participation is more organized in Japan and it's a lot more fun for me. Games in the States aren't that "festive" in the stands. But you'll have a good time, don't worry.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Differences - baseball game in Japan v US 2016/11/1 18:42
Thanks a lot, John.
Could you/anyone tell me, please:

- do the US fans sing or chant at all? (We were in awe of the super-organized singing in Tokyo - with coordinated hand gestures.) Is there much of a crowd atmosphere?

- (for my young daughter, honestly) do they have foam fingers and/or other silly merchandise that she can wave around and get excited with?

- what's the snacks and drinks situation like?
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Differences - baseball game in Japan v US 2016/11/1 19:51
There is no organized singing like in Japan, unless you're chanting your team's name. Those groups you see in Japan know all about their team's players and the fight songs of their schools, etc. That doesn't happen in the US.

The stores within the stadium sell all sorts of souvenirs and foam fingers are part of the merchandise they sell, so you can fins things for your children to wave around.

Stadium fare is pretty much what you'd find in the US, though lately the stadiums are trying to incorporate flamboyant cuisine in their specialty concession stands. Sure, you'll find hot-dogs and popcorn and such, but you'll also find nachos, tacos and ribs, etc. I doubt you'll find yakitori or yakisoba or takoyaki or things similar unless you go to LA or SF.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Differences - baseball game in Japan v US 2016/11/1 21:06
Thanks again, John. All the best to you.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread