Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

tourist to student + visa run 2017/1/19 17:45
Hello !
I'm a bit confused and worried about re-entering Japan as a tourist next month because I intend to stay here longer and change my status from tourist to student.

Some more information about my situation:
I'm Belgian, in Osaka on a temporary stay without visa (part of visa waiver program) since 1st December. Planning on leaving the country around 1st February to meet my friend in Seoul for a week and then taking a plane to Tokyo. (It's my first time in Japan and I'll only have used 2 months out of the 3 that I was granted for my first stay)
I intend to stay in Tokyo as a tourist for a bit less than 2 months, and then I'll start studying Japanese at a language school in Tokyo for 6 months, classes start in early April.
At first I thought that I wouldn't be able to change my status while staying in Japan but the company that's taking care of my enrollment at the language school said that it was possible as long as I'm in Tokyo to collect the CoE in February and that there's still enough days left on my 90 days tourist stay for the paperwork to be done in March, which is fine since I'll only be spending about 60 days as a tourist before I start classes.

Now here's my question:
I don't know what to state on the paper at immigration when I re-enter Japan as a tourist. Should I say that I intend to stay for 60 days since that's the duration of my stay as a tourist or should I say I'm planning on staying for 8 months ? (2 months tourist + 6 months student)
I've read many posts on forums but I couldn't find any situation similar to mine. (re-entering as tourist while expecting to change status to student without leaving the country).
I don't want to lie or hide things from immigration but I'm starting to think that I shouldn't mention my plans of change of status to ensure I'm allowed back into the country.
Also, I understand that it's important to be carrying a return ticket when entering Japan as a tourist, especially when it's the second time I'm entering the country, but my return ticket is for September so I won't have anything to show.
I know that people are never guaranteed to be allowed back in Japan when doing visa runs, but maybe someone knows about the change of status ? Is it something I should be mentioning ?

Thank you for your time!
by MarSch27  

Re: tourist to student + visa run 2017/1/19 18:12
Clearly you will have to lie about your intended period of stay, no way around that. Likewise if you are asked about your return plane ticket.

The only way to be safe is to go back to Belgium and apply for a visa.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: tourist to student + visa run 2017/1/20 08:49
Carrying a return ticket? in this day? I never have paper tickets and for the past decade of frequent flying to Japan and other locations never been asked for a copy.

I think realistically, without having to lie to immigration, your intended length of stay under the visa waiver programme is approximately two months. During that time you are allowed to apply for a CoE and change in visa. if it is not granted, you return home - not stay 8 months.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: tourist to student + visa run 2017/1/22 18:27
Thank you very much for your replies!
I think that I'll do it that way, say I'm staying for 2 months, which is my intended stay under the tourist status.

Does anyone know how long it takes to change your status from tourist to student if you already have your CoE issued ? The duration stated on the website of the immigration bureau is "A month to three months" but I think that this is for people who don't have a Certificate of Eligibility already.
by MarSch27 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread