Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kumano kodo and general hiking advice 2017/2/10 23:28
Hi guys!

I an exchange student currently living in Japan and I am leaving next week to travel around Japan. I can speak a little bit of Japanese (N5/N4) so asking basic questions on the road should be fine. Due to exams and other things weren't I able to book and plan my trip in detail until now...

I will start in Nagano this Sunday and I plan to go Matsumoto and Kiso Valley. From Saturday 18th I will be walking the Kumano Kodo trail. I found accommodation in Chikatsuyu and Yunomine onsen, but not in the places after that until Nachi and further, because it's all booked or closed... Do you guys have any recommendations for what to do to solve this and continue the last few days? I would prefer not to take (too much) buses but if it's unavoidable then it's okay. Also, would it be possible to walk from Tanabe all the way to Chikatsuyu in one day, or can I better take the bus to Takahara and hike from there?

Another question revolves around hiking/nature in Japan in general: do you guys have any recommendations for Shikoku and Nagano area to hike? As I said I will be around Nagano from this Sunday on, but I don't have any specific plans for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I have seen Kyoto/Nara already by the way so I'm not going there again.

After the Kumano Kodo I am going to Shikoku by boat from Wakayama and I wanted to go to Iya valley and do a bit of the pelgrimage route there. However, me not having a car, me travelling alone and it being winter, made me a bit lost about what to do in Shikoku in terms of accommodation and hiking.

Needless to say I'd like to travel as cheap as possible because I am a student. Sorry for my slightly inconsistent story but I hope some of you guys could help me out a bit!

by Wouter (guest)  

Re: Kumano kodo and general hiking advice 2017/2/12 01:40
No one has any advice? :(
by Wouter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano kodo and general hiking advice 2017/2/12 09:56
From Tanabe, you will need to take the bus to Takijiri Oji, then you can walk up to Takahara and then to Chikatsuyu in one day.

In Koguchi, which is halfway between Hongu and Nachi, there are 2-3 lodgings. Takata Green Land is also nearby; they will pick you up in Koguchi and then drop you off at the trailhead in the morning. If those are all full or closed, you will need to bus back to Hongu or down to Shingu for the night. It's not impossible to do Hongu to Nachi in one day but it's a LOT of elevation and distance and you'll really need to be in good shape to do it.

Finally, I recommend posting in Trip Advisor or the Lonely Planet forums for more interaction!
by Kumano (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano kodo and general hiking advice 2017/2/12 12:35
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano kodo and general hiking advice 2017/2/12 13:15
Thanks for your reply, it's really helpful! Koguchi was all full, although I didn't check the one you mentioned that has pick up service available. My last booked accommodation is minshuku teruteya. What would you advise me to do from there? I'd like to hike to the end off the trail, so I should stay in Hongu after minshuku teruteya? I will take your warning in mind and I don't think I'll do the final part in one day. Also I'll post on other fora.

Do you recommend going to the ise trail for a small part as well? And do you have any recommendations for shikoku by any chance?

As for the last poster, I knew that website already but thanks nevertheless!
by Wouter (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread