Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to stay in Tokyo? 2017/2/15 16:09
Hello!
I'm currently planning a trip to Tokyo and I'll be staying for around ten days.
I've spent many hours searching for a hotel just outside the west parts of Tokyo. Mostly around Okutama and Uenohara, where you are surrounded by nature.
Unfortunately I haven't found much and the ones that I did had all their information in japanese and even with google translate it was hard to understand any of it.

I might take a look at Hakone (south west of Tokyo) and the south parts of Chiba if it is something anyone would recommend. :)

The place I'm looking for is:

- close to a train station and around 1 h 30 minutes to Tokyo with the train.
- the hotel must be lying in a calm town or out in the nature/mountains etc.

I could really use some advices on where to live. I have used different sites to try to find a hotel but no success.

Or maybe I should just live inside Tokyo? What do you think?

Anyway, thanks! :D
by Mike (guest)  

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo? 2017/2/16 08:05
How about Chichibu?

It's in Saitama Prefecture, next to Tokyo.
http://navi.city.chichibu.lg.jp.e.qg.hp.transer.com/

I have never been there, but I was reading about it and it sounds like a nice place that meets your criteria. I may decide to visit there myself on the upcoming trip.

It's 80 minutes to Ikebukuro station of Tokyo via express train. Then from Ikebukuro, it's an easy transfer onto JR Yamanote Line that will take you to major stations (Shinjuku, Tokyo, Shibuya, etc.).

There are mountains, a river, greenery, temples/shrines

There is a hotel by the station http://www.route-inn.co.jp.e.ut.hp.transer.com/language/hotel_detail.p... (I'm sure there are others).

Read more about Chichibu: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6552.html

by Nora Neko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo? 2017/2/16 08:29
I visited Chichibu in summer - nice area, but quite a long way out, and only 90 minutes to Tokyo with a shinkansen trip (otherwise closer to two hours).

As you are looking for something within 90 minutes of Tokyo you are covering a pretty big area. Also, as one of the most densely and highly populated areas on the planet (with 37 million in the greater Tokyo area, getting the idyllic countryside is a bit harder. Also, your self selection will take you to places without good accommodation.

Why don't you do some of your trip in the mountains (proper) and some in/around Tokyo?
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo? 2017/2/16 11:01
Makuhari with views across Tokyo Bay is nice. 35 mins by train to Tokyo. Very quiet area, plenty of parkland.
by couldabeen rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo? 2017/2/16 14:42
Thanks everyone for the answer. I appreciate it a lot!
Chichibu seems wonderful! I checked it out on google maps and the surrounding area is just marvellous! That's my cup of tea :)

If I would decide to live closer to central Tokyo for a day or two, which ward would you recommend that I stay at? I've heard that special ward Nerima is one of the more quite ones in Tokyo. Any else?

Thanks!
by Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread