Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sleep quality in capsule 2017/2/17 04:27
Hi,
As a visitor in Japan I thought I would for once try a capsule hotel. However, are these as noisy as people say? Like reading some reviews hearing of people barely moving making huge noise in the whole row of capsules, or people chatting in the night loudly etc.

I mean, is it possible to get to sleep? Would earolugs help if too noisy?

The First cabin said you could not use alarm clock, is it the same with capsules?

What about security? Can I trust no one will crawl into my capsule or steal my pillow or valubles?
by Mono (guest)  

Re: Sleep quality in capsule 2017/2/17 11:52
I tried it for one night, just for the experience.

My verdict: Once was enough. (I may try the newer more luxurious one, just to see the difference).

Not all capsule hotels are the same, though. Some newer ones are more luxurious (relatively speaking) and costlier than most.

Some low-end capsules only have curtains for privacy, but most others have a locking door. With a locking door, there is more security. But you keep your valuables in a separate locker that I felt was pretty secure.

Noise-wise, you better hope that your neighbors do not snore (or you snore louder than them).

by Saburo T. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sleep quality in capsule 2017/2/17 14:00
I have never experienced sleeping in capsule hotel but my take on booking for one, if ever, is the price.

I usually go for a business hotel with its own toilet and bathroom even if it is far from major station for the same or slightly higher price as compared to capsule hotel or even in dorm-type hotel/hostel. What I do not get most of the time is the dorm-type hotel/hostel disguised as 'business hotel.'

You should also know by now that aside from sleeping quality, another complaint of many capsule/dorm-type hotel users is the central shower serving many floors but located in only one floor. A usually bad idea if many of you plan to get out before the sunrise. Further, some accommodations do not implement a 24-hour shower availability and some will also require you to take public bath outside the accommodation premises.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Sleep quality in capsule 2017/2/17 15:18
While I have stayed in several hostels I actually only once slept in a dorm type once, but only 3 beds. As I usually get up around 5-6 to cater for much sightseeing I would probably only be a bother haha... At the dorm however the only sight of interest was a castle opening not until 10, so I got to sleep in.

But I would feel pretty closed in in case of unsecure events around the capsule, if any.

I saw a more private typ of capsule that looked like a windowless room with a capsule and table. More expensive though.

The First cabin seems more luxorious too.

But say, in case of earhquake or fire, how safe are these compared to a bunk bed...
by Mono (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sleep quality in capsule 2017/2/19 19:58
You get a locker for valuables. If you have a lot of stuff to store, a capsule hotel is probably not for you.

My experience was very peaceful and quiet, but then I was the only obvious tourist there, so your experience may vary quite a bit depending on which hotel you are at.
by Harimogura rate this post as useful

Re: Sleep quality in capsule 2017/2/20 00:23
I just about always stay in hostel dorms, usually 6-8 people in a room but I've slept in one with 20 people and also some where I was completely alone in the big room. I also wake up at 5-6am each morning but it usually doesn't annoy too much if you have everything ready to just get up and leave the room quietly. Some room companions tend to be very annoying (come in at 2am and turn the lights on, speak loudly or using the dorm as a chat room when I'm already sleeping, taking up a lot of space, etc.), but this depends a lot on luck and where you're sleeping.

I'd say capsule hotels are about the same, though everyone has a much more marked space so people don't leave their stuff in the middle of the way. Capsule hotels also tend to be more private with sliding doors, or curtains, so you don't really see (or talk, at all) to the other guests. I never have any problem sleeping with the noise in the hostel dorms or the capsules I've tried, but I know a couple people complain about it sometimes. Basically, if you'd be willing to sleep in a hostel dorm then a capsule hotel usually seems like a luxury in comparison.

If possible, try to have the "capsule eperience" outside of Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka, in these places there are many foreigners (they tend to be the noisier ones haha). There's really not much point in doing something "Japanese" in a place where the are a bunch of other tourists looking to do the same.

@Mono: capsule hotels, by law, aren't allowed to put locks inside the pods. This is so in case of emergency it would be very easy to get out, or for them to get you out, since all you'd have to do is slide open the unlocked door or push the cutain out of the way. It would be about the same as sleeping in a hostel or a hotel room in case of emergency.
by FancyLampshade rate this post as useful

Re: Sleep quality in capsule 2017/2/21 00:29
I LOVE capsule hotels, i think are they better than Hostels (depending on the person). Please remember not all capsule hotels are created equal and how to stay there is different.

Capsule hotels are great and affordable if your spending a lot of time out sightseeing and hanging out. Capsule hotel are not really the type of place to really relax enjoy your stay in a room talk with other then head out. Hostels are for people to relax and talk capsules are for people on the move and just looking for a bed to sleep.
by Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sleep quality in capsule 2017/2/21 01:19
In my experience, hostels tend to be cheaper than capsules, thatfs why I often choose them. I really just arrive, leave my bag, go out again, come back to sleep and leave very early the next morning. I rarely relax and talk to other travellers at the hostels, so there is a bit of everything. Itfs worth saying that hostels are popular with backpackers, solo and budget travellers, as well as general younger people, so of course this is the type of person who would be looking for conversation or to meet other travellers. Capsules are more for business men.
Ifd say the biggest difference between hostels and capsules is the quality. The hostels arenft bad but they arenft hearts and roses for people used to hotels. Capsules in the end are hotels, even if each person has a small space, and tend to cater more to the gcommoditiesh of the guests.
What I like the most about hostels is the kitchen area where guests can cook their own food, itfs very helpful to be able to use a fridge and microwave whenever I need to.
by FancyLampshade rate this post as useful

Re: Sleep quality in capsule 2017/2/21 07:56
The problem is if you intend to go with those cheap ones or luxurious one's. Cheap ones aren't worth trying, whiles the luxurious one's aren't cheap, and prices are equal to those 2-3 stars hotels. so at the end, it's up to you to decide, but it is worth trying it once in a while or at least once, as they are not really available out of japan, it is one of those experiences whiles visiting Japan.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread