Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1st ime to Hokkaido, need help on itinerary 2017/2/19 20:25
Dear all,

Planning my first trip to Hokkaido in mid May for 11D, 10N. This is my planned itinerary - any suggestions/comments are very much welcome!

Day 1 - Arrival New Chitose/ Overnight in Sapporo
Day 2 – Train to Otaru (Day Trip). Overnight in Sapporo.
Day 3 - Pick up car, drive from Sapporo to Lake Toya [Try Usuzan Ropeway and overnight at Lake Toya for fireworks]
Day 4 - From Lake Toya, drive to Noboribetsu Jigokudani Hell Valley. Overnight at Noboribetsu Jigokudani.
Day 5 Drive 2.5 hrs from Noboribetsu to Tomamu. Overnight at Hoshino Resorts Tomamu
Day 6 Tomamu early morning visit Unkai Terrace (between 5 – 7am). Then proceed to Lake Akan. Visit Onneto-ko, Ainu Kotan/Akan-ko, Kotan Onsen,
Overnight @ Akan Ko.
Day 8 - Ikenoyu Onsen Sunayu Onsen, Kusshoro-ko (note that Kotan, Ikenoyu and Sunayu are actually part of Kusshoro-ko as they are on the eastern shore of the lake), Iozan, Kawayu Onsen, Mashu-ko 3st Observatory, Mashu-ko 1st Observarory, Ura-Mashu Observatory, Kaminokoike Pon
Overnight at Kitami or Abashiri.
Day 9 - From Kitami or Abashiri, head to Higashimokoto Shibazakura Park & Kamiyubetsu Tulip Park. Overnight at Engaru.
Day 10 - Asahikawa Zoo to Asahikawa – Biei – Furano – Sapporo. Return car. Overnight in Sapporo.
Day 11: Tour Sapporo city [Lilac Festival, sight seeing etc]. Return flight at night

Questions:
1) Can I squeeze in visit to Shiroi Koibito Park on day 2?
2) Is my itinerary workable? Any suggested tweaks to make it workable/smoother?.
3)Travelling with 6 adults and 1 infant. Feasible to rent a single car?
4) Is car rental at Sapporo or New Chitose Airport easier?
5) To see the Unkai Terrace, is it a must to stay at Hoshino Resorts Tomamu?
6) Any suggested accomodations @ Akan-ko, Asahikawa,Engaru, Kitami and Abashiri? First time to Hokkaido, really overwhelmed by all the information.

Thank you in advance for your help.
by chicaq  

Re: 1st ime to Hokkaido, need help on itinerary 2017/2/20 19:31
1. If you arrive at Otaru early, you do have time to visit the Shiroi Koibito Park.
2. In my mind, it's really a great itinerary, at least much better than mine.
3. I don't think renting a single car for 6 adults and 1 infant is a good idea since most cars
in Japan are a little small to western people. Moreover, you must need to bring some luggages during your travel
, which makes a single car unworkable.
4. Yeah, it's easy to rent car in both places.
5. You have to enter the Hoshino Resorts Tomamu to see the Unkai Terrace.
6. I suggest you to try the minshuku, or homestay in Hokkaido, which is really a nice chance to
experience the Japanese culture. You can book them on wensites like Booking and Agoda.

I think there is a must-see in Hokkaio that you shouldn't miss: Funaru, a place full of flowers in Spring and Summer, which is very beautiful and romantic.

Anyway, you can try the app called Tourank, which is a smart mobile Japan travel guide, whose tour-map will show all attractiosn and facilties like hotels and restaurants in your area.
It helped me a lot during my Hokkaido travel last year,and I think it can help you either.
Hope you have a great travel.
by FloriaHanlovetravel rate this post as useful

Re: 1st ime to Hokkaido, need help on itinerary 2017/2/24 23:33
Thank you floriahanlovetravel
by chicaq rate this post as useful

Re: 1st ime to Hokkaido, need help on itinerary 2017/2/25 07:06
Some car rental places have minivans, in which you might get everybody and luggage if everyone doesn't bring a huge suitcase. I've had to check several places in one town to find a minivan though. It was a bit over Y11,000 per day, so you might be cheaper in two cars if you have two drivers.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread