Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

inexpensive fresh goat cheese 2017/2/23 20:54
I'm finding it particularly challenging to find good goat or sheep cheese in Tokyo and it is apparently due to the smell. Go figure.
I saw good goat cheese at Isetan in Shinjuku and Seibu in Shibuya but it costs an arm and a leg. Anyone knows of other places or alternative ways of sourcing fresh goat cheese?
As an indication I'm looking for cheese similar to:
- crottin de chavignol
- ticklemore
- aged gouda etc
by Abby7  

Re: inexpensive fresh goat cheese 2017/2/24 14:35
Costco?
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: inexpensive fresh goat cheese 2017/2/24 14:36
Dear fellow stinky cheese lover,

I think your best bet would be Seijo Ishii, the imported food supermarket franchise that is increasingly becoming very "konbini".

But actually, I sort of gave up on looking for cheap goat/sheep, and instead started buying cheap "wash type" natural cheese of any milk, because they often have a quality much similar to Crottin de Chavignol than one of those light chevre. Seijo Ishii, not always, but often puts bargain prices on those stinky "wash type" natural cheese.

In any case, try to visit "supermarkets" and "malls" instead of department stores, especially in the suburban areas, because they tend to provide prices that are more affordable. I usually buy my cheese at Prince Pepe in Shin-Yokohama, because I live nearby.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: inexpensive fresh goat cheese 2017/2/24 14:37
Oh, I must confess I don't buy bulk amount and therefore gave up my membership at Costco.

Re: inexpensive fresh goat cheese 2017/2/28 13:26
Perhaps, Kaldi coffee farm may also be sold.
According to the information of 2014, it was written that Queso de Murcia al Vino is on sale.
I have done this before, there is also the possibility to taste free at cheese festa.
It is held in Tokyo around November every year.
Other cheese specialty store
https://matome.naver.jp/odai/2140842827289625701
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: inexpensive fresh goat cheese 2017/3/25 01:34
I was just at Costco yesterday and they have goat cheese there, at fairly reasonable prices.

Re: inexpensive fresh goat cheese 2017/3/25 02:17
Costco has goat cheese. You could also try Food Show at Shibuya station.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: inexpensive fresh goat cheese 2017/4/19 13:50
I recently bought cabecou at Dean & Deluca Roppongi branch in Midtown for 400 yen a piece. One piece was slightly larger than a common macaron, looked like a plain mochi, quite creamy and fulfilling, AND very stinky yet with a slightly sour taste unique to goat cheese. I'm not sure if they sell them all the time in all branches, but you can ask in advance for カベクー In fact, they told me that it was カベクーフィーユ (cabecou feuille) although they weren't wrapped in leaves.

https://www.deandeluca.co.jp/contact/index.php

Re: inexpensive fresh goat cheese 2017/4/20 12:56
I think the goat cheese I saw at Costco was around Y160 per 100 grams, comparable to many of the other imported cheeses there.

Re: inexpensive fresh goat cheese 2017/4/20 21:44
Okay, I'm gonna get my Costco membership back.

Re: inexpensive fresh goat cheese 2017/4/21 01:29
I think I make back Costco's yearly membership just in savings on Best Foods mayonnaise.... They're also quite a bit cheaper than Tokyo supermarkets for Brussels sprouts (in season), zucchini, blueberries, salsa, pecans, figs, salami and a bunch of other stuff. And of course cheese.

reply to this thread