Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which JR pass choose? 2017/2/25 04:54
Hello all,

I will be arriving at Narita Airport on the 3rd June. My return flight is from the same airport on the 17th of June, but I'll be going to Seoul from 11th-15th of June. So this is my question: which of JRpass should I choose?

My trip plan so far:
3.06 - arriving to Narita in the morning
04.06 - Tokyo
05.06 - Tokio - maybe Fuji-san (it's depends from weather) or Kamakura/Nikko
06.06 - transfer from Tokyo to Kyoto (my starting point to this region
07.06 - Kyoto
08.06 - Kyoto-Nara-Kyoto
09.06 - Kyoto-Hiroshima/Mijajima-Kyoto
10.06 - Kyoto -Kobe or Fuji-san- Kyoto
11.06 - transfer from Kyoto to Osaka Kansai airport
11.06 - 15.06 - Seoul
15.06 - transfer from Osaka Kansai airport to Tokyo
16.06 - Tokyo
17.06 - Narita and my return flight

I know, maybe it's a little bit complicated due the flight to Seoul but I can't change this period because I've a ticket.

So what is more profitable? 7 days pass and additional transport options e.g. WILLER bus or I'll have enough transfer to buy 14 days pass? I can use it also to travel from/to Narita via N'ex and for Yamanote Line during my stay in Tokyo. (I booked hotels close to Otsuka and Tokyo station).

This is my first solo travel so it's not well organized but I've some time to do my best.

* I choose this 3 places to stay because I don't want to take everywhere my luggage ;)
by Aneta (guest)  

Re: Which JR pass choose? 2017/2/25 13:53
I think the answer may be "neither". A simple rule of thumb is that a Tokyo-Osaka(or Kyoto) round trip about justifies a 7 day pass. The problem is you're not doing the round trip in a 7 day period. If you go to Nikko, that and Hiroshima might justify a 14 day pass; you would need to look up the individual ticket costs to compare.

Also, if you're not paying for a pass, you could fly back to Tokyo from Osaka, which would make a lot more sense since you'll be at the Kansai Airport anyway. This will be both cheaper and much faster than via rail. Make sure to fly to Haneda, not Narita, since you plan on spending the 16th in Tokyo.

By the way, you can't possibly be considering a day trip to Fuji-san on the 10th? Kobe makes sense, Fuji-san no way. Typo?

Finally, I suggest basing out of Osaka instead of Kyoto. It's much more centrally located for the locations you have listed. As it is, Hiroshima, Kobe, And Kansai Airport all will have you travelling through Osaka to reach from Kyoto, and Nara is closer from Osaka as well.
by gfoulk rate this post as useful

Re: Which JR pass choose? 2017/2/25 13:58
Oh, I would look into flying directly from Seoul to Tokyo as well (and just ditch your Seoul-Osaka leg even if it's non-refundable.) It might not cost a whole lot more than Osaka-Tokyo and it'll save you a bunch of time, time you can spend sightseeing in Tokyo instead.
by gfoulk rate this post as useful

Re: Which JR pass choose? 2017/2/25 14:24
No nation wide pass will work due the to itinerary.

As above, fly directly to Tokyo from Seoul.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread