Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Lantern plant (Hōzuki) 2017/2/26 23:01
Hi all

I've been trying to research the role, origin and religious meaning behind the use of the Japanese lantern plant. The information in English is limited. I have an idea for a sculpture in an upcoming collection and I want to have my facts straight. So if what I understand from the web is incorrect I can scrap the idea. I try not to cause offence whenever possible.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Mario
by Mario JH (guest)  

Re: Japanese Lantern plant (Hōzuki) 2017/3/1 01:43
What exactly do you want to know about hozuki? Could you be more specific?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Lantern plant (Hōzuki) 2017/3/1 10:52
Hi Uco

Thank you for the reply. If I was spacific, does Hōzuki have a religious significance with the festivals it is used. Or is Hōzuki seen more like a talisman or simply decoration in these festivals (for example Bon festival ). Are there any historical stories/ folktales that explain why they started to be used in that religious or cultural contex.

I would be very greatful for any information you could give me. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks again

Mario
by Mario JH (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Lantern plant (Hōzuki) 2017/3/2 04:31
does Hōzuki have a religious significance with the festivals it is used. Or is Hōzuki seen more like a talisman or simply decoration in these festivals (for example Bon festival ).

Well, I don't really understand the difference between a religious significance, a talisman, and a decoration.

Are there any historical stories/ folktales that explain why they started to be used in that religious or cultural contex.

Not that I know of, and I couldn't find anything from the internet. I think this is the common understanding among the Japanese like me, but I hope someone else can post some interesting information for you.

We used to make whistles out of hozuki when we were little.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread