Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary for half-day and morning in Nikko 2017/3/1 18:44
Hi all,

I read up on what we can do around Nikko. We will arrive at Tobu Nikko Station at 11.21am (4th of April, which is a Tuesday…hopefully not so crowded). That leaves us with the whole day + evening and the following morning. My train departs at noon (13.05 at JR Nikko). My travel companion will stay for another two nights, so she will have ample time to visit some of the further away sights like Edo Wonderland and such.

With only half a day, an evening and a morning I am in doubt what to focus on. For that one night we are staying at Nikko Kanaya Hotel. My travel companion will move on to the nearby Nikko Tokinoyuu for the remaining two nights.

Should I only focus on the temples and the abyss (so the heritage area of Nikko) and skip Kegon and the lake? Or would you guys say; go do the temples on the day of arrival and depart early the next morning to the Lake and the waterfall?

Also, is there anything to do during the evening/night (culturally speaking). Like having a nice stroll, taking night photographs of the temples (or are the whole grounds off-limits after closing time?). Also, do you guys have a few great recommendations for lunch and dinner?
by VanIlya  

Re: Itinerary for half-day and morning in Nikko 2017/3/1 22:03
1,5 half day would give you enough time to see both the lake+waterfall and the cultural heritage area of Nikko, including the walk along the river to the statues of budhas. Tuesday should not be too busy. Depending on the weather, you can decide whether you take a bus up to the lake after arrival (and perhaps still see one of the shrines or the Tamozawa Imperial villa in the evening; check the closing times) or go to the lake early in the morning.
You cannot enter inside the shrine precints in the evenings, but you can definitely enjoy a quiet stroll on the cryptomeria-lined pathways after all the tourist crowd have left.
by hikooki rate this post as useful

reply to this thread