Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

getting a business visa 2017/3/2 11:13

Quick question: could you get a business visa and bypass having to have a degree to live and work in Japan?
I know it would be difficult with the $45k USD investment you have to have upfront. But is it feasible to just "buy your way" into the country without a degree this way?

I've also heard you can get a working holiday visa, take on some private teaching lessons and use that to prove to a particular ward that you can support yourself. Is this true?

Thanks
by Devil Machine  

Re: getting a business visa 2017/3/2 11:41
I've also heard you can get a working holiday visa

Are you a US citizen or a green card holder who lives in the USA? If you are a US citizen you probably already know there is no working holiday visa agreement between USA and Japan...
by Gaby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: getting a business visa 2017/3/2 12:38
No I wasn't aware of that but what about the business visa?

Also to clarifye the working holiday visa thing. So teachers on say the JET program receive a working visa before they set foot in japan, or are they just in some weird limbo period until their papers are in order?
by Devil Machine rate this post as useful

Re: getting a business visa 2017/3/2 20:35
Are you actually any good at business? Having Y5M - Y10M is no guarantee of getting a CoE or business visa - you need to show ability too.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: getting a business visa 2017/3/2 22:28
"Working holiday" visa and "work/working" visa are two separate things.

If someone outside Japan applies for a job in Japan, then the employer applies for the visa on their behalf, and the teacher-to-be flies to Japan only when the visa is ready, so that they can start working as soon as they arrive in Japan.

If someone is in Japan already and somehow manages to find employment while in Japan (let's say while here on temporary visitor status, as a tourist), then if the employer applies for a change of status on their behalf, then they cannot work until the work visa is granted, so you could call that "limbo" period. It would be illegal to work when you don't yet have the right status.

About business manager/investor visa (I assume), you need to fulfill some additional requirements such as having an office, business plans that look feasible, hiring a few locals, etc., that it is nothing you can just "buy" only with investment.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: getting a business visa 2017/3/3 08:07
This is a good guide

http://www.tokyoimmigration.jp/eng/sougyou.html

So, especially, you need to get an office space, show the required business plans, and be able to employ staff.

Combined, that's a very big ask - even if you have native-level Japanese ability.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: getting a business visa 2017/3/3 09:47
Since that seems to be the actual question: no, there is no way to stay in Japan long term if all you have is money.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: getting a business visa 2017/3/4 10:34
That is a reasonably good link.

I agree with Firas, $$ alone will not get you a visa (looked at that and asked similar questions some years ago).

You don't actually need to be able to speak/read/understand Japanese to get the visa.

Note the Japan representative requirement - that is an interesting hurdle. I had a sensible plan and achieved that. There are a lot of other hurdles and circular requirements (catch-22) items along the way.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread