Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

13-day self-driving itineary Kyushu 2017/3/3 15:19
I am planning a trip for my husband and I (both 60 yrs) in mid April. Our interest is in scenery, food, culture, onsens. Hope to get kind advice on whether the following is a good, relaxing pace program:
Day 1 - arrive Fukuoka in morning. Check into hotel in Hakata and visit Canal City, yatai for dinner.
Day 2 - Walk around city. Pick up rental car at 2 pm. Drive to Nagasaki. On the way, spend 1-2 hours at Tosu Premium Outlets. Check into Nagasaki hotel for 2 nites.
Day 3 - Visit Atomic Bomb Island, Peace Park, Koshibyo Confucius Temple. If have time, Battleship Island.
Day 4 - Drive to Unzen, and take Shimabara Ferry to Kumamoto (stay one nite). Visit castle, Suizenji Gdn.
Day 5 - Drive to Kagoshima, stay 2 nites. Visit Senganen Gdn, Ibusuki, Sajurajima, Kirishima Yaku National Park, Ikoma Plateau, Yatogi Falls, Nichinan Coast (if have time)
Day 6 - ditto
Day 7 - Drive to Takachiho Gorge, and walk. Stay one nite in Takachiho.
Day 8 - Drive to Aso for 2 nites in Aso Resort Gandvrio. Tour Aso area - Komezuka, Kusasenri, Nakadake, Kikuchi Gorge, Shirakawa suigen, Kuju Flower Park, Daikanbo, Nabegadaki, Kokonoe Yume.
Day 9 - ditto
Day 10 - Drive to ryokan Wakaba. Stay one nite
Day 11 - Drive to Ryokan Yumerindo. Stay one nite.
Day 12 - Drive to Yufuin, tour one hour. Drive to Beppu for one nite. Visit Beppu Sea Hell.
Day 13 - Drive to Daizaifu to visit Tenmangu temple, then Fukuoka for last nite.
Day 14 - Depart Fukuoka airport.

Temples are not really our priority, unless it's a must-see. If I have missed out anything, or the program is not right, please do advise.

To control expenses and see more local scenery, we think we should use country roads, instead of toll roads. Any advice on which route to use would be appreciated.

As we don't speak Japanese, we are concerned about getting lost driving. So any tips would be helpful. Thank you.

by pawpooh  

Re: 13-day self-driving itineary Kyushu 2017/3/4 03:44
The initial plan is already quite full but it would be nice to include a visit to Huis ten Bosch even if theme park is not your cup of tea. Spring is the time for the colourful tulip in the park and their annual tulip festival runs till April 17 this year.
http://english.huistenbosch.co.jp/events/?mode=event&Type=1&eventName=...
Their spectacular Flower and Light Kingdom event is also running during your time of visit.
http://english.huistenbosch.co.jp/events/?mode=event&Type=1&eventName=...
by William5 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread