Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advise for Kyoto 1 and a half day 2017/3/4 02:41
Dear all advisor

I'm planning to visit Kyoto 1 and a half day, Could you please help to list the sequence of these places which one I should go first and what next, prefer bus or train for each direction (if I use Kansai Thru Pass) here are lists of places.

1 Day
- Fushimi Inari Shine
- Kiyomizu-dera
- Tofukuji
- Higashiyama
- Nanzenji Temple
- Philosopher's Path
- Ginkakuji
- Nishiki Market

Half day
- Tenryuji temple
- Bamboo Groves
- Togetsukyo Bridge
- Kinkakuji Temple

Please help to set sequence of these places for newbie traveler.

Thank you so much

by toeytuii (guest)  

Re: Advise for Kyoto 1 and a half day 2017/3/4 10:45
I think you've organized fairly well - a few tweaks would help though.

Fushimi Inari is open 24/7, so if you go very early in the morning, you can avoid the crowds as well as free up time for other places later in the day. But if you also want to see Tofukuji, you should see that immediately after Fushimi Inari since it's so close (Tofukuji opens at 8:30 or 9 AM depending on the time of year). You can take the Keihan main line up to Kiyomizu-Gojo and then walk about 15 minutes eastward to Kiyomizudera. The only other issue is Nishiki Market -- things start to rapidly wind down and close from the early evening, so you might want to visit during the day - actually the following day might make more sense, since.....

Your half day is really pretty empty. The Togetsukyo Bridge has a lot of historical importance, but today it's another concrete bridge with cars and trucks running over it all day. It won't take you but a few minutes to "enjoy" it. (If you want a good bridge, try Iwakuni). The bamboo groves won't take long either - looks nice but the same view in every direction. Tenryuji is much more interesting but doesn't take long either (don't miss the garden). And Kinkakuji will be finished in 30 minutes without rushing. You could add more for Arashiyama - the Otagi Nenbutsuji is at the end of the line, but one of the most whimsical places in Japan you will ever see. If you're visiting from late spring, Gioji should have its moss growing and it is very nice. You could also see the Iwatayama Monkey Park to avoid getting "templed out".

And if you want to add a bit more on your second day, try the Honganji Temples near Kyoto Stn - they open very early and are worth your attention.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread