Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suica or Rail Pass? 2017/3/5 05:39
Greetings!
I'm going to stay in Tokyo for about nine days and I was just wondering if I should buy a JR rail pass or pay all my train fares with my Suica card? I will probably travel more than 200 km some of the days because I want to see the outside of Tokyo like Mt Fuji, the coast of Chiba and all the hiking routes around 150km west of central Tokyo. Which alternative will save me most of my money?

Thanks!

With kind regards,
Maik

by Maik (guest)  

Re: Suica or Rail Pass? 2017/3/5 09:53
All too short - you need to be doing some serious distance ( more than 1,000km) before the 7-day pass starts to pay off. Check the Tokyo Wide pass.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Suica or Rail Pass? 2017/3/5 16:04
Note that the Suica doesn't actually save you any money as the ticket prices are the same as you would have paid in normal tickets; it is mostly a convenience thing but it comes at a price: a new card costs 2,000 yen, which includes a 500 yen deposit.

If you leave Japan you can get the deposit back according to the following formula: Refundable Amount = Remaining Balance - Commission Fee (220 yen) + Deposit (500 yen)

Look into the other options available, the the Tokyo Wide pass already mentioned.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread