Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cash on Delivery 2017/3/17 19:36
How does cash of delivery work for websites like H&M, Rakuten, etc?

My Japanese friend said the delivery man must call the customer to ensure they are home first. If the customer doesn't answer the phone, they won't deliver the package.

My problem is I don't speak Japanese, so if I were to answer the phone I would have know idea what is being said/what to say.
by The Van Buren Boys (guest)  

Re: Cash on Delivery 2017/3/18 10:45
Alternatively, you can go to the post office (or its equivalent for other shipping companies) and get your package from there.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Cash on Delivery 2017/3/18 11:06
By the way, if you don't feel comfortable answering the call, you can just decline it on your phone, the delivery person will just think you're busy, or on a train, etc. and will leave a notice in your mailbox with further instructions.

Also, I assume you are using CoD because you don't have a credit card? If so, there are normally other payment methods you can use, such as cash in convenience stores or Mobile Suica if you have a compatible phone.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Cash on Delivery 2017/3/18 11:31
They normally phone you if you have chosen a money collect payment. This is because if they come but you have no money, you can't receive it.
If you have paid in advance with a credit card or bank payment, they won't phone you.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Cash on Delivery 2017/3/18 12:16
I do have a credit card, I just prefer not to use it.
The website states that I can request a specific time for it to be delivered for COD.
If they call, I will just answer, apologize I don't understand Japanese, but say that I am indeed home.
by The Van Buren Boys (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cash on Delivery 2017/3/18 13:09
The cash-in-delivery system is called "dai-biki". When they phone you, they'll say who they are (which is usually a name of a delivery service such as Sagawa Kyubin or Yamato Unyu) and that they have a "dai-biki" item to delivery to you. Sometimes they'll confirm the price.

So if you receive a call that sounds something like that, just ask "Daibiki desuka?" and if you want to confirm the price, just say the price out loud, including the handling charge which is usually required and is notified upon shopping on the web.

Actually, a cash-on-delivery man once came to our home without calling. So that can happen too.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Cash on Delivery 2017/3/19 19:05
You don't need to know much Japanese, but yes the delivery guy will either call or just ring the bell. You don't need to say much except Konichiwa, hand them the yen for the delivery, you should know how much it is. Then they hand you the package and they will wait a moment for you to examine it if you want. Then just say arigato. I've only used the service a couple times and they never called, as delivery people often know little English and explaining over mobile it is usually difficult to say anything meaningful.

There are other options such as ordering for pickup and delivery at a combini or Japan Post.

There is a scam going on, at least in Tokyo, where a courier arrives with a package like a gift of chocolates, that has a delivery fee owed, and then you find out the package is nothing but a box.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread