Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

get them delivered vs pick them up 2017/4/25 20:44
Hi all, we are planning to climb Mount Fuji this summer, so we have been researching information about Mount Fuji.

We have encountered an option, which one to choose for rental equipment to receive.
We found 2 companies that suits to our travel plan.
One company deliver the equipment to hotel, the other one not, but we have to visit the shop to pick up our equipment.

We are 70% decided with delivery plan but my husband is still wondering if it can be easier for us to pick up at shop in Tokyo.

If somebody has an experience, or tips about Mount Fuji, we would like to know.

Thank you.
by Mariska (guest)  

Since no one seems to be responding 2017/4/27 13:10
I don't do real mountain climbing, but since no one seems to be responding.

I assume you're talking about renting shoes and stocks and wear that you use only when climbing the mountain. So, why does your husband think it's easier to pick up at a shop in Tokyo? Is your hotel not in Tokyo? Does your hotel not accept delivery for you? And why do you prefer hotel delivery?

The reason that some locals prefer to pick up at shops in city centers as opposed to their homes is mainly because they cannot stay at home for hours just to wait for the delivery. So they pick things up near their work places or somewhere on their way to some place. But if your hotel can accept the delivery in your behalf, you don't have to worry about that. Except that if your hotel is much further from the mountain than the Tokyo shop, I can understand that you'd want to pick it up in Tokyo.

Another thing is that I notice some shops offer pick up at their branches much closer to the mountain itself (such as at Go-gome). That way, you can wear your everyday summer dresses and short until you get out of Tokyo, and then rent the long-sleeves and heavy gear just to climb the mountain, and then return it and have fun in the city again.

So again it depends on why you think hotel delivery is better and why your husband thinks it's better to pick up at a shop in Tokyo. Hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: get them delivered vs pick them up 2017/5/1 01:08
Hi Uco, thanks for your reply.
I thought delivery is easier is because we are staying in hotel and the we have already checked via email that they would accept delivery if the package includes my name on it. We have only short stay and I do not want to be "lost in translation" to find the rental shop in Tokyo.
My husband also does understand about delivery seems much easier for us but we are wondering about the delivery might be late or does not come.
In my country, delivery item often does not arrive on time, so we are wondering how much we can trust the delivery company in Japan. I am not used to the delivery system in Japan, so that is why we are still on the way to make decision.
If my item does not arrive on time, we might have to find shop for rental.
So the point is that if we can believe the delivery or not.
by Mariska (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: get them delivered vs pick them up 2017/5/1 02:05
Hi again. I see what you mean now.

Well, can't you just let the hotel accept the package for you 2 days before you climb the mountain? If it so happens that the package doesn't arrive properly, you can ask the hotel to make a phone call to the shop so that you can be rearranged to go to the shop directly on the next day. Then you still have 1 more night until you leave for the mountain.

In Japan, usually delivery comes on time or at least within the day even if it's several hours late. But anything can happen. A clerk might make a mistake, the truck might suffer an accident, or more commonly, there might be a random accident that cause traffic jam. But even so, if the delivery is done between commuting distance (such as from one part of Tokyo to another part of Tokyo), then there is no reason you can't get the merchandise within the same day as long as you can get someone to make phone calls for you.

Re: get them delivered vs pick them up 2017/5/9 00:12
Hi Thank you again Uco.
We have decided to arrange by delivery. Thanks a lot.
Your information was great help for us.
by Mariska (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: get them delivered vs pick them up 2017/5/9 00:38
Thanks for the feedback. That's great to know. And, like I said, delivery usually comes on time, so it all depends on how safe you want to play it. Hope you have fun in the mountains!

reply to this thread