Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How would this be read in Japanese? 2017/7/4 01:54
My Chinese name is ‰’阳’©‰ΰ ipinyin: Ouyang Zhaoxiaj and I was wondering how this would be best translated in Japanese, since I am heading there soon. I read somewhere that Chinese names will usually be said using onyomi or even just transliterated into katakana, but I'd much prefer to use a more natural-sounding name using kunyomi if possible. Granted, my name is unusual even by Chinese standards due to the double-character surname, and I have no idea how ‰’阳’©‰ΰ would translate and if there is a common Japanese equivalent. Thanks in advance!
by Ouyang (guest)  

Re: How would this be read in Japanese? 2017/7/4 12:17
It is not a "translation" you want, you want to decide how you want to be called in Japan. That is completely up to you.

Most Japanese are familiar with your last name, because of a Taiwanese celebrity who worked in Japan named ‰’—zδΙδΙ(ƒI[ƒ„ƒ“EƒtƒB[ƒtƒB[). So you may want to keep the same scheme for the last name ƒI[ƒ„ƒ“ [Ō-Yan]. By the way, that is in on-yomi (‰Ή“Η‚έ).

For your first name ’©‰ΰ, there happens to be a city in Japan by the same writing, which reads Asaka (ƒAƒTƒJ). Asa is kun-yomi of ’©, Ka is on-yomi of ‰ΰ, so it's a mixed bag. Or you can just ignore ’©, and go with kun-yomi of ‰ΰ alone, which is Kasumi (ƒJƒXƒ~). Kasumi sounds feminine, so that would be good if you are a woman.

Like I wrote, it is up to you. Above are just suggestions.

by QPS (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread