Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Matsumoto/Kamikochi/Takayama Advice Needed 2017/7/11 14:34
Hello all,

I have found some variation of this question/itinerary, but wanting to get some expert input on our latest thinking. My friend and I are currently planning the following:

7:45am - Train from Shibuya Station in Tokyo to Matsumoto
10:45am - Arrive in Matsumoto - walk around Matsumoto | check out the castle + snap some photos | grab an early lunch, etc.
2pm - Rent a car and drive up to the Kamikochi
3:30pm - Bus into park after dropping car
4pm - Arrive Kamikochi - walk around, explore, take pics
6:30pm - depart the park
7pm - Retrieve car and head to Takayama
9pm - Arrive Takayama - grab dinner and grab a drink

The following day we would and explore takayama during the day - do some sake tastings, etc then depart early evening to Kyoto.

While we recognize this is a bit crammed - is it totally unrealistic if we rent a car picking the car up in Matsumoto and dropping it off in Takayama? I've read there is a fee to drop in a different city. Is that a big fee? Would this be possible only using public transport? Any thoughts or insights here would be much appreciated!!

Thank you!
by SoundDust (guest)  

Re: Matsumoto/Kamikochi/Takayama Advice Needed 2017/7/11 15:03
There are busses from Matsumoto to Kamikochi and several years ago I took a bus between Takayama and Kamikochi: http://www.kamikochi.org/plan/access#transport
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto/Kamikochi/Takayama Advice Needed 2017/7/11 15:48
Additional:
- I think you can only enter Kamikochi by bus, so you would need to change to a bus at the car parks
- If on the bus, alight at the Taisho-ike or you'll risk being stuck in the bus for an hour getting into the bus station at Kamikochi and you would like to walk up to Taisho-ike in any case
- Kamikochi is certainly worth an overnight stay and exploring the area; IMO the area around Kapabashi and the tourists shops is the least scenic and that is probably the only thing you have time for if you make it a one day visit.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto/Kamikochi/Takayama Advice Needed 2017/7/11 20:09
Just wanted to add, when you get to Takayama at 9 you are going to have a hard time finding somewhere to eat. I was just in Takayama on the 28th and around 5-6pm there were limited places open to eat and of those open, many appeared to close by 9. Most people overnighting in Takayama have board included in their rooms, so that many restaurants are open for lunch only. I walked to 3 different places before finding one open and saw many closed places. Takayama also has very limited convenience stores. We were looking for one to get ice cream bars. There was one in Takayama Station and in Takayama Bus Station, but I am not sure of their hours.

We didn't have a car so can't speak for the parking situation outside of seeing lots for the hotels/ryokan.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto/Kamikochi/Takayama Advice Needed 2017/7/12 03:43
Thank you for the helpful tips! After looking at it more closely and based on your feedback, we are now cutting Matsumoto out of the itinerary.

We will plan to go right to Kyoto from Tokyo, and head up to Takayama from Kyoto for an overnight trip. This will take out some of the hassle of baggage since we can leave our bags in our hotel in Takayama while we explore Kamikochi, and will have more time concentrated on one town instead of two. We will head up in the early am to start, drop our bags at our lodging in Takayama, grab a quick bite then head right to Kamikochi for the majority of the day. We will get off at Taisho-Ike as suggested and make the walk up to the visitor center to max on the stunning views of this portion of the park.

Does it make sense to try to hit an Onsen in Hirayu on the way back. Is there anything close to the bus station that is friendly to someone with tattoos?

We would try to get back to Takayama a bit earlier than initially thought to catch an open restaurant and then hit a bar that night and do exploring around Takayama the next day (morning markets | Hida Folk Village | Sake tasting) before heading back to Kyoto. Thanks all for your helpful advice!

by SoundDust (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread