Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

3-week Central Honshu/Alps/Kansai itenerary 2017/8/15 22:42
Hi guys,

Yes, ANOTHER itinerary check, this time for a three-week trip around Honshu, focusing on 2 things: Cities and nature!

I am in particular looking for "off the beaten path" nature experiences, and to vet that I haven't made a stupid mistake (Yes, I know Hiroshima is nice, but we down-prioritised it).

October 7 - Arrive in Tokyo
October 8 - Explore Tokyo
Octtober 9 - Explore Tokyo
October 10 - Explore Tokyo
October 11 - Daytrip to Nikko (can be on of the other days, probably weather dependent)
October 12 - Explore Tokyo
October 13 - Tokyo to Magome, travel day and enjoying the ryokan we booked in Magome
October 14 - Magome - Tsumago hike, overnight in Tsumago
October 15 - Tsumago - Nakanoyu Onsen (close to Kamikochi) Enjoying the onsen, visit to kamikochi town
October 16 - Hike Mt. Yakedake, bus to Takayama in the evening
October 17 - Explore Takayama
October 18 - Shirakawa-go + relaxing in Takayama
October 19 - Takayama to Kyoto
October 20 - Kyoto
October 21 - Kyoto, daytrip to Kobe (weather dependent which day we choose)
October 22 - Kyoto, Kibune-Kurama hike and festival in Kurama
October 23 - Kyoto
October 24 - Kyoto to Higashiyoshino (We've booked a countryside "homestay" airbnb there, but will have a car)
October 25 - Spend time with airbnb family in Higashiyoshino and relax (it is holiday after all)
October 26 - Higashiyoshino, daytrip either to Nara or somewhere on the Kumano Kodo
October 27 - Higashiyoshino to Osaka, spend as much of the day in the village before going to Osaka for the night and flight back home in the morning.

Surely, we could push more "highlights" into the itinerary, but we are also looking to not run from train to train in 21 days and check as many boxes as possible. We want to have the time to experience Japanese culture as well, which is why we have prioritised to stay at a "homestay" for the last couple of days. Overall, I am quite satisfied with the route, but there are simply so many options, that I might have missed out on something unmissable. Please review and advise, thank you :)))
by Christian (guest)  

Re: 3-week Central Honshu/Alps/Kansai itenerary 2017/8/16 11:17
Hi Christian,
I think the route looks fine, taking into account that you want to do vacation in Japan and not stress yourself out. You covered some of the highlights of Japan. There are obviously more Japan highlights, e.g. central Hokkaido, onsen in Kyushu, Shikoku and inland sea ... the list could be nearly endless. But you need to take a decision on your priorities and from what you explained your route seems reasonable.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 3-week Central Honshu/Alps/Kansai itenerary 2017/8/17 11:34
I think that looks quite good - it should be a very enjoyable trip for you. I would plan for Nara rather than somewhere in Kumano for your last day trip; it takes a surprisingly long time to get out to Kumano from the Kyoto area. Other than that I think you will really enjoy it!
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread