Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting the Northern Alps in December 2020/11/27 14:55
There seems to be conflicting information for us to plan an impromptu trip to the Northern Alps as facilities are closed from Dec 1. What is available to my family of 5? Do we need snow chains to visit the area? We are capable hikers but only have room to pack for a day hike. We do not mind sightseeing from a car or our feet. We prefer nature but open to unique suggestions of history (we have lived here 2 years and seen many shrines and temples).
by Nicole Rodgers (guest)  

Re: Visiting the Northern Alps in December 2020/11/27 17:21
Depends on where in the alps you plan to travel.

But yes generally hiking is out of the question. Difficult to walk in waste deep snow.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting the Northern Alps in December 2020/11/27 17:26
My apologies - I did not realize the Chubusangaku National Forest were already in waist deep snow! The most recent pictures on google seem to show snow only in the top portions. So, you advise there are not many places to visit in that area in early Dec?
by Nicole Rodgers (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting the Northern Alps in December 2020/11/27 19:14
I didnt say it was waste deep in snow. As it depends on where and when you wanna travel.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting the Northern Alps in December 2020/11/27 21:17
Anywhere in Chubusangaku / Northern Alps. It appears that busses, trolleys, trains and most ropeways within the National Park are closed by Dec 1. Few exceptions like Shinhotaka Ropeway exist. The park also does not allow private vehicles. Which is the reason for my question: Are there any dayhikes accessible after Dec 1 or are they covered in snow or inaccessible by car? Can the Northern Alps be enjoyed at all after Dec 1 and before the ski season seems to start end of Dec?
by Nicole Rodgers (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread