Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Haneda - Phone Rental 2022/3/13 06:32
I live in Japan. I only have a landline telephone in Japan, no cellphone/smartphone. I'll be traveling from Haneda to USA & Canada, and I plan to rent a phone at Haneda. I know I will need one for re-entry anyway, so I wonder about renting one to take overseas to use in USA/Canada, too. Does anyone have advice -- a good company to use, plans, costs, what to avoid, etc? Thanks.
by Phone Questions (guest)  

Re: Haneda - Phone Rental 2022/3/19 04:59
I'm pretty sure the rentals from Haneda are set up to be rentals for use within Japan, not rentals for taking out of Japan. It also looks like a lot of the rental counters in Haneda (and presumably Narita) are closed https://tokyo-haneda.com/en/service/facilities/cellular_phone_rental.h... Because they are specifically targeting foreigners visiting Japan and right now there are caps of only 7000 arrivals per day.

I live in the US. I bought my phone (a Pixel) outright from Google. I'm on Google Fi, which I've been pretty happy with. It does work in Japan, though I've had a few texts get lost in the ether so I mostly use Line to chat with friends living in Japan or just actually call them. However, if I actually lived in Japan, I'm not sure it would be worthwhile, since I do pay a small amount additional. This amount is much less than the cost of pocket WiFi, rental SIM, or rental cell phone I would be paying. I also generally go to Japan for 2 or so weeks. I've heard Google Fi works decently in Canada, but I've not been to Canada personally in many many years to test. I am hoping to go in April when pretesting for fully vaccinated Americans is no longer required.

If you search US rental phones a lot will come up, I have never used one and I am not sure they are meant to be used in Japan on a semi-permanent basis.

But again, none of these are meant to go back to Japan and stay there. If you live semi-permanently in Japan, it might make sense to just get a cell phone plan there. I know iPhones and Pixels tend to work Internationally, I don't know about Samsung or other brands. Most of my friends have iPhones and they tend to have an easy time traveling Internationally with them,
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda - Phone Rental 2022/3/25 12:45
Telecom Square at Haneda Airport provides rental handsets and plans for use overseas. You can also have them deliver the handset to your home or business before departure.

https://biz.telecomsquare.co.jp/telecomsquare/
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda - Phone Rental 2022/7/5 08:14
I wouldn't advise taking and using the Handea phone overseas, as it's meant for domestic use only, like one of the posters said. If you need to use a cellphone in the US/Canada, borrow one from those specific countries.
by Christian Hirose Romeo Graham rate this post as useful

reply to this thread