Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Please help me understand these dialogues 2023/1/30 21:06
Hello, I came across some Japanese dialogue that I couldn't understand. Hope someone can help me.

This is the first one: https://youtu.be/c7UBReMmIRg?t=49

"Heaven will not allow someone to advance who only aims for victory..." I'm not sure how to make sense out of the rest of it.

Second one is at 1:45. こんなのガラ? What does that mean?

1:55 Is Neji saying he himself will become the laughingstock, or Shikamaru will?

2:00 やりあってられっかってんだ I can only assume this means something like compete and win...? How can anybody beat this guy? Translating site translates this to "can't take this guy seriously" but I don't know how it becomes that.

I did try to check the official English version, but I'd like to understand how these parts were translated. Thanks in advance for any help! :)
by Noob Translator (guest)  

Re: Please help me understand these dialogues 2023/2/1 19:11
i assume you are referring to the very first sentence in the video .

A [“差し違えても”などという形でしか勝利を目指せぬもの]に B[駒を先に進めること]を 天は許しはしない

“Heaven will not permit someone (like A) to do (B)” is the structure.

This “差し違えても“ would be open to interpretation, but i take it it is short for 差し違えてもいいから 勝ちたい I want to win by killing the opponent even if it means dying myself,” meaning he is only pitching a desperate move.

So obviously he is saying that heaven would not allow someone desperate like that to advance his army/his forces ahead in this world, because if he is making that desperate move, obviously he is not fit to rule the world, or something like that.

So if i give it a try:
- Heaven will not permit someone [who is so desperate as to aim for victory only in the form of wishing to kill the opponent while getting injured/dying himself]to [make a move ahead to advance].

You can tell the sentence structure is complicated (or the relative clauses pretty long) and is full of difficult expressions.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread