Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Taxes remote work from Japan, WHV 2023/7/28 01:47
Hello,
I currently live in Spain and work for a Spanish company in full remote, I was thinking of taking the WH visa, and living in Japan for a year and continuing to work in the company where I work.

How am I going to be more than 183 days in Japan if I have it clear should I pay taxes there, on my income?

I am not very knowledgeable about how the taxes work there, if someone can give me a hand.

Thanks!!!!
by Farokillo  

Re: Taxes remote work from Japan, WHV 2023/7/28 14:41
The only way you can technically work in Japan, is if you have a visa that has the conditions that you're allowed to work in Japan. If you're not technically employed by a company in Japan, how can they enforce you to pay taxes?

Someone else asked a similar question like this before, but I would be weary of trying to do something like this without contact someone in immigration to see what is allowed or not.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taxes remote work from Japan, WHV 2023/7/29 07:41
As you are working for your Spanish company you are not "working in Japan". A common error people make is to assume that just because you have a job and are located in the country that you need an appropriate status of residence. Working in Japan is when you work for a Japanese company or employed under Japanese law/rules.
However, you will become tax resident after 183 days and be obliged to pay taxes on worldwide income to the Japan Government. You may also be liable to pay your Spanish income tax as well - it is called double taxation. Check if there is a tax treaty between Spain and Japan - some countries have agreements to double taxation, or "tie-break" provisions.
I would also note that applying for a working holiday visa when you do not intend to seek work in Japan is a little odd.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Taxes remote work from Japan, WHV 2023/7/29 08:13
working holiday visa holders are legally residents in Japan.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taxes remote work from Japan, WHV 2023/7/29 11:38
There is ways a lot of confusion when it comes to tax across countries.

I had the understanding that someone on a working holiday status is a "non permanent resident" for tax purposes as they'd be living in japan for under a year. Which means they would be subject to tax on income earned IN Japan. They would not be subject to income tax on worldwide income, UNLESS that foreign source income was then remitted into Japan, then the amount remitted only would be taxable.

by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taxes remote work from Japan, WHV 2023/7/30 01:47
@JapanCustomTours the idea to use the WHV, its because i can stay in Japan a maxium of 1 year, dont for search a work in Japan.

If there is any visa that allows me to stay 1 year in japan without a work permit, tell me, i searched but the maxium are 3 months expandable 3 months more a total of 6.

About the taxes, between Spain and Japan there is an agreement to address double taxation, so there is not problem here.

Its true that my incomes from my work will be in my bank from Spain, but i really dont know if i need to pay the taxes 20% from Japan, because i will be here, more than 183 days.
by Farokillo rate this post as useful

Re: Taxes remote work from Japan, WHV 2023/7/30 07:16
@Farokillo - good there is a tax agreement.
Still, I would suggest you get some professional accounting and legal advice as everyone has different circumstances.
You might want to chank the "Specified visa: Designated activities (Long Stay for sightseeing and recreation)" that allows for up to one year (6 months plus 6 month extension). Alternatively, enter on the visa waiver program for three months and make some short term trips out side of the country - that is allowed. There is no restriction on how many days per year you can be in the country under those.

Re: Taxes remote work from Japan, WHV 2024/1/12 20:16
@Farokillo I'm in your exact same situation!

I'm Spanish, currently live in Spain and work for a Spanish company 100% remotely.

The only difference is I want to live in Japan through a Student's Visa (since I already did my WHV 5 years ago, when it was released). :-)

However, our case looks very similar. Did you find a suitable answer to your question?
by cenandoenjapon rate this post as useful

Re: Taxes remote work from Japan, WHV 2024/1/15 07:59
@JapanCustomTours

You wrote "Alternatively, enter on the visa waiver program for three months and make some short term trips out side of the country - that is allowed. There is no restriction on how many days per year you can be in the country under those."

Are you seriously saying, you can live indefinitely in Japan, as long as you go abroad and come back every 3 months?
by Denis C rate this post as useful

Re: Taxes remote work from Japan, WHV 2024/1/15 12:35
There have been personal examples online of people travelling a few times and returning, staying 6-9 months.

No personsal online examples of people staying indefinitely.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taxes remote work from Japan, WHV 2024/1/16 07:48
Personally, I spent around eight months in Japan during the year before I moved here with a status of residence. However, I was not doing short trips across to Taiwan or Korea between visits, but back to my home country (NZ) and I had a fully functioning legitimate business that required me to make the various trips back and forwards, and I did not have a Japanese address at the time.
Yes, you could theoretically stay indefinitely, but I would expect immigration to add some probing questions and request proof you were not "living" in Japan.
Also, there are some things that you would not have access to like a local phone number, local bank account or health care. As a temporary visitor, you would need a non-Japan phone and private insurance. Your accommodation options would likely be restricted and of course your tax situation gets complicated.

reply to this thread