Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Place to toss beach plastic in Nagasaki? 2023/8/11 14:58
I was just walking around and found small beach. I was just going to pick a few items and about 3 hours later was still there cleaning the place. I found 4 plastic fertilizer bags and a plastic hamper that I've filled full of plastic waste. However I don't have a car and not sure where a proper disposal location is. I was just going to ask the local police but I figured I'd post here while I continue to work for now.

I'm by the penguin aquarium btw.
by Trevor (guest)  

Re: Place to toss beach plastic in Nagasaki? 2023/8/12 11:33
Japan generally operates a gtake your trash homeh policy, meaning that there arenft public waste bins except in a few locations (some train stations, convenience storesc) but that wouldnft be for the amount of trash you collected. I guess your best chance is to ask at the aquarium if they accept gyourh trash. They might not as they might actually need to pay for it, as it will be gcommercial g waste.
An other possibility is to ask a local resident if they accept to put the trash with their waste. They wonft need to pay for it, but will need to put it out on the appropriate day. Plus might be quite surprised and unless you are good in Japanese explaining what you are doing might be difficult.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Place to toss beach plastic in Nagasaki? 2023/8/12 15:01
I generally agree with LikeBike, but to make sure, I wouldn't go around knocking doors at people's homes asking to take the trash in. Keeping someone else's trash (when you have enough of your own) is the last thing you'd want to do in a country filled with bugs and animals.

But if there is a passer-by, I might ask where a proper place to put it would be. You can say that you are doing a "beach-clean" while gesturing you're picking things up from the sand. That way, they would know that they're not the trash you are throwing away.

Meanwhile, I wonder who the beach belongs to. If it's a swimming beach, there should be some kind of a facility that maintains the place, such as a cafe or hostel. If you don't see one, then asking the police is a good idea, because the place may be maintained by some kind of public organization such as the municipal.

By the way, as a local Japanese resident of a city, I've noticed that beach-clean is not at all common in rural places in Japan. (Although in popular beaches such as those in Kanagawa and Izu, it's commonly done.) When I was in a remote island, I cleaned a beach right after a storm, and the hostel in charge of the beach told me that I was the second person who ever did it, the first person also being someone who has been abroad. When I asked where to put the trash away, they went out of their way to take it in, and they gave me an extra cocktail for free.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread