Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Can I keep my bank/apartment as my visa ends? 2023/11/27 17:52
Ifm currently at language school preparing for graduate school in Japan. Ifm approaching on 2 years of using the visa for language schools next September so I either get into grad school for next September, get a job by next September, or go home.

If I donft get into my September start graduate program, Ifll be job hunting next year and applying to more schools for the typical Spring semester start. but this leaves me with a gap. If I absolutely canft find a job but DO make it into a graduate school after applying next summer, my visa will end between September/December. But Id be coming back to Japan by April anyways for school. (If I do get a good job Ifd just postpone graduate)

Post Bank says to close the account when I leave Japan but do I have to? And what about my apartment? Could I just leave a few of rent in my bank account and have friends handle my utility bills for a few months?

Closing and reopening a bank account along with a new apartment deposit seems like so much work when Ifd really just be leaving Japan for a little bit. I know itfs hard to close an account from overseas but Ifd be coming back so would it just be waiting for me upon return?
by Maya (guest)  

Re: Can I keep my bank/apartment as my visa ends? 2023/11/28 21:48
I left my bank account (and credit cards) open in Japan during 5 years I wasnft living here. I had even changed my adress to my new address to overseas with no problem.
For the apartment just let your landlord know that you will be away for some time. Maybe she/he will want the rent upfront though.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Can I keep my bank/apartment as my visa ends? 2023/11/29 17:50
The answer no one wants - it depends.

In my case, my bank account can only be held by someone with a valid status of residence. I regularly need to provide a copy of my residence card to keep it open. Japan does not like non-residents with accounts, so it will be particular to your provider. That applies to both my personal and business accounts.

As for apartment, you don't need to be a resident to rent somewhere, but it depends on the company/arrangement. If my visa/SoR wasn't renewed I would still be able to pay for and keep my place, but the company I use is more foreigner friendly than than a lot of others (or a private landlord).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Can I keep my bank/apartment as my visa ends? 2023/12/1 16:59
Recently banks in Japan have been asking people to provide info copy of their resident card, to check their status etc., as part of their so called money laundering prevention etc.

As for myself, got that from JP Bank and local banks. If not update, possible account will be frozen.

This is notice from JP Post.
https://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/en/news/en_news_id000001.html

Technically you should close your bank account if you are no more resident.

Few cases/post(Reddit) people bank account got frozen/ couldn't access their bank account due to above reason.

So just to let you know ..
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread