Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Sending modified car from USA to Japan 2024/2/16 02:27
The car in question is a 2000 Volkswagen Jetta VR6.

Yes, I already know that the steering wheel is on the wrong side. I also know that the shipping/inspection costs would exceed the value of the car.

There are two gProblemsh. The first is that I am attached to the car. I have had it since 2016 and I have restored and maintained it to try to bring it to its full potential.

The second gProblemh is that the car is supercharged. It is equipped with a Vortech V-9 supercharger. I am unwilling to part with the supercharger because then it would be reduced to a standard Jetta VR6c which is unworthy of going through all of the hassle to bring to Japan.

Ifm moving in a few months with my wife and son and I want to bring the car with me. I was in a rabbit hole trying to decipher all of the information and misinformation about the process and I was particularly caught up on the emissions part of it. Similarly to Massachusetts, where Ifm from, they do allow more emissions for older vehicles.

I came across some information that stated that all Vortech superchargers will pass emissions tests in all 50 of the United States. That quelled some of my concerns.

Aside from the supercharger and exhaust, the rest of the car is original. No body kit, no coil over suspension, normal ride height, etc.

I have also seen that superchargers are legal in Japan and are even sold there.

Has anyone had any positive experience sending their car to Japan? Were the emissions tests more or less than you expected? Did they have you gfixh anything after it arrived?

Thank you.
by knice1on1  

Re: Sending modified car from USA to Japan 2024/2/16 08:32
Car importer would be my first point of call...
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sending modified car from USA to Japan 2024/2/17 03:05
I second H's advice that you'll probably need to talk to a dedicated car importer/exporter to get definitive answers. One additional thing you might want to check on regarding your car's aftermarket mods: in Japan, cars are subject to a comprehensive vehicle inspection every two years. This inspection is more thorough than just a smog check, and can get you in trouble if you have any non-street legal (by Japanese law) parts, which you'll be required to remove before certification. So you'll want to look into not just getting your car to Japan, but whether your parts will pass the "shaken" (car certification) inspection.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread