Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Extend Period Of Stay Application 2024/2/29 17:06
Hello. I just needed help regarding one section of my renewal.

I am currently on a 6 months Working Holiday VISA (eligible for extension for another 6 months) and I am currently on the National Health Insurance. The problem is that the application requires:

"Copy of private medical insurance enrollment certificate and terms and conditions (as appropriate). Please submit a policy whose period corresponds to the period of your planned stay in Japan, and whose coverage includes death, injury, or illness incurred while staying in Japan."

1) By "as appropriate", does that mean only ones with private insurance should submit it, meaning I'm exempt from submitting that?

2) Does this mean I cannot progress with the application since I am on National Health Insurance?

3) If I can progress with NHI, should I use my Health Insurance Card as proof? What about proof of policy?

Again, thanks for the help.
by Joshua (guest)  

Re: Extend Period Of Stay Application 2024/3/1 10:33
Not to sound rude, but why not just contact immigration and ask them? They would give you a much better answer than people who may or may not know the answer on a forum. They're in charge of this sort of thing anyway, so you'd be better off just speaking to someone who actually works in that line of work instead of strangers on the internet.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Extend Period Of Stay Application 2024/3/1 10:39
I've also contacted them through e-mail but they are yet to respond. My nearby immigration office have incredibly long wait times, so I thought it would be best to see if anyone else has done this before.
by Joshua (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Extend Period Of Stay Application 2024/3/1 15:16
I mean, you can literally just call them and they will pick up and answer your question. When I was living in Japan, I had called a few different times about extending my visa and they were able to answer what I needed to bring and other info. I would just literally call instead of waiting for an email.

Re: Extend Period Of Stay Application 2024/3/3 18:14
It could easily be that the OP cannot speak Japanese, so calling them and getting a native speaker at immigration would not help. Having never needed to call them, not sure if they have decent language support for a random incoming call.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Extend Period Of Stay Application 2024/3/6 13:28
@Japancustomtours

I spoke to them in English as my Japanese wasn't that great and they spoke English just fine at immigration. That's why I'm suggesting they should speak to someone instead of just waiting for an email.

reply to this thread