Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Visiting Japan waiting on COE for work visa 2024/3/20 01:14

Hi yall,
So my flight for Japan is scheduled the 25th and my job was supposed to be starting April 1st. Unfortunately, my employer submitted my application for my COE late (February 28th. Apparently the immigration office told them it would take two weeks but that seems unlikely as it is already week 3, and based on otherfs experiences, it seems unlikely) in the meantime, will I be able to visit as it is being processed as long as I return back to the US to apply for my visa? (My fiancé is a Japanese national so it would be nice to spend some time with him beforehand If possible). I heard this wasnft possible from a country that requires a tourist visa, but I am from a visa waiver country, so Ifm assuming it shouldnft interfere with my COE? Both the consulate at home and the Immigration offices in Japan have told me different things, so Ifm unsure of what may be correct. Has anyone done this before? If so, what was your experience? Thank you in advance:)
by Teeee (guest)  

Re: Visiting Japan waiting on COE for work visa 2024/3/20 07:10
If you are from a visa waiver country you can come to Japan for visiting, NOT WORKING, whenever you want.

I was in Japan on a tourist visa in 2015 while my dependent COE got processed. Once it was ready I flew back to Spain went to the Japanese embassy , got the visa into my passport (takes a few days) and a few days later flew back to Japan. No problem what so ever.

There are people who manage to use the COE while being IN Japan without flying back to change their status from gtouristh to gresidenth. I donft really know how that works.

The only small problem I see with your plan is, if your COE for example comes on 26/mar your company might still expect you to join on 1/apr. but at that point you are in Japan , need to fly back, wait a few days for the embassy to put the visa in your passport and then return to Japan. (If somehow you can do the change while IN Japan it may work out just about- youfd still need someone to send you the COE from your home to Japanc) Which would sound difficult to get it all done by 1/Apr. Thus I would suggest you let your company know of your plan to visit Japan on a tourist visa. You should probably also visit them while you are a tourist to say hello.

If your company used a lawyer to make the application maybe she/ he could contact immigration and get a date when COE will be issued. I donft think that ALL COEs take a very long time. There are success stories on that other thread about people getting theirs in 3-4 weeks. While other are waiting 6+ months. I donft think it is arbitrary but linked to the type of visa.

Btw, international mailing (at least from Germany to Japan) since Covid takes a long time. Previously a letter would take maybe 3 days. Now itfs more like 10 days. This is standard mail not courier.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread