Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Three days after Kyoto 2024/3/28 00:11
We have 3 days after the end of a tour which ends in Kyoto before going back to Tokyo. We will at that point have spent 4 days in and around Kyoto. Any suggestions on where to go and what do do in that period?
by Katherine Spence (guest)  

Re: Three days after Kyoto 2024/3/28 11:07
Hiroshima or Lake Biwa area

https://en.biwako-visitors.jp/
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Three days after Kyoto 2024/3/28 14:35
Day 1: Arashiyama
Day 2: Amanohashidate
Day 3: mount Hiei and rakushai
by Ittefaq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Three days after Kyoto 2024/3/28 14:38
Nara prefecture would be my first choice. Closeby and very varied

Here something about Nara I wrote a few days ago in an other question:

I am totally in love with Nara prefecture. And a few spots in Nara (Nigatsudo). Just came through Nara yesterday afternoon and itfs crazy. Around the Todaiji you could hardly walk for the number of tourists. Even the deer were so fed up that they ignored the crackers.
But be 2 walking minutes away and it is quiet
Anyway, places I love in Nara prefecture are:
-Asuka area ( maybe not overly good for staying there unless you have a car/private transport). I think it is somewhat visitable by public transport but a car or a bicycle (e bike might be a good idea) is a great way to get around and see some more special temples and ancient burial grounds)
- Imaicho in Yamatoyagi (which is a place that makes for a good hub with direct trains to Osaka and Kyoto and many other locations.)
- Dorogawa onsen in the mountains (great for a ryokan stay and some mountain activities. I remember the indeed thrilling ride in a minuscule monorail to a cave. I donft remember the cave itself but that monorail was something else https://www.visitnara.jp/venues/A00886/
- Last weekend I went to Muro and Akame waterfalls which also makes for a nice trip. Muro would also make for a good place for a ryokan stay (if you have a car, although there are busses, but private transport would be convenient) while Akame was a very ugly small ryokan village.
- Tanzan jinja is nice but I think best combined with some hiking (or cycling). Itfs nice enough. But also not that outstanding to go out of your way for it. So if you can make the way part of the plan, itfs nice. Or if you have a car and are in Asuka area anyway. (There are busses from Sakurai though)
- Hibara shrine (and a small food stall right outside of it, if it still exists)
- Hasedera is also nice and already on your list
- Horyuji area is also nice.
- Chogosonshi ji is still on my gto do listh but looks like fun.
- Tenri is a strange place. Dominated by a HUGE temple complex and even bigger temple lodgings. I donft really know whatfs going on there. But it kind of seems the central of some strange sect with a lot of young followers. Curious.

In this trip I stayed in Sakurai, but used it mainly as a convenient hub. It was convenient for me but I think Yagi would be more convenient for the majority of tourists due to the better train connections.

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/search/label/Nara?m=1
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Three days after Kyoto 2024/3/28 20:55
Depending on your interests, the Miho Museum. I finally got there myself recently after intending to go many times, and thought it was phenomenal. The setting, the architecture, the displayed items, and the curation (English-friendly) are fabulous, and the special exhibit at the time I went was outstanding.

The transit looks somewhat off-putting, but itfs just a short train ride from Kyoto Station and then a single 50-minute bus ride that goes fairly quickly. You do have to allow the better part of a day for the whole excursion, though.

Obviously, you will need to make sure they will be open on the day you want to go. It is closed Mondays and for fairly lengthy periods between special exhibits. Go on a weekday if you can, and if you happen to have a rainy day, all the better. After you arrive, I recommend watching the background video about the museum that they run regularly (some of the showings in English) to gain a better appreciation of the place.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7027.html
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Three days after Kyoto 2024/3/30 16:45
by Lilz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Three days after Kyoto 2024/3/31 03:36
No shortage of choices. Nara & Uji are close by and very good places. You could do an overnight at Koyasan. There is Arima and Kinosaki for their hot springs. Himeji and Hikone have some nice castles. Hiroshima, Miyajima and Iwakuni could take up 3 days. Miyama is another option. Or go see Okayama and Takamatsu.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Three days after Kyoto 2024/3/31 09:37
Thank you for all the ideas.
Ifve decided to spend one night in Arima Onsen and two in Kobe to enable me to do a day trip from there to Himeji Castle.
Am I better going to Arima Onsen for my first night after leaving Kyoto or nights one and three in Kobe (so I can leave my luggage there) and night two in Arima Onsen.
by Katherine Spence (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread