Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Meguro area living costs and taxes 2024/4/17 22:59
Hi All,

Have been offered a role in Tokyo (Meguro office) with a salary of 20m per year. Can anyone advise on areas to live which would be good based on a Meguro based office near the station? Coming alone initially but wife (no kids) will also join later this year all being well and also be looking to secure employment.

Appreciate any guidance and advice, also canft seem to find a reliable tax calculator as they all seem to show very different figures, can anyone give a rough estimate as to take-home per month and any estimated living costs?

Thanks in advance!
by Sen77  

Re: Meguro area living costs and taxes 2024/4/18 18:37
Are you saying that you are going to gain 20 million yen per year as your salary? If so, I'm sure your employer-to-be would have better ideas on housing, because that's the type of salary coming from a well-established employer.

And are you saying that your Meguro branch is close to Meguro train station and not any of the dozens of other stations in Meguro-ku? If so, just find a place in walking distance. It's a nice area, and your employer would be able to guide you to a good real-estate agency.

Your monthly salary would depend on your field and bonuses. Your expenses would depend on your lifestyle.
https://seikatsuhi.com/hitorigurashi/#google_vignette
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Meguro area living costs and taxes 2024/4/18 20:30
Hi Uco,

Thanks for your reply, yes my base salary will be 20m Yen per year and the office is right by Meguro Station.

Ifm just trying to get a sense of nice neighbourhoods around that area, walking distance to the office would be nice but not a deal breaker so somewhere on one of the three lines connecting to Meguro Station would be ideal so the commute isnft too much of a hassle.
by Sen77 rate this post as useful

Re: Meguro area living costs and taxes 2024/4/18 23:15
What I'm saying is that places like Shirokane and Nakameguro are among the most popular neighborhoods for couples who can afford it.

But if you prefer to stay further away from your office on your days off, the Meguro/Namboku line runs along the more cozier neighborhoods compared to JR or Mita Line. Or you can commute by one of the many buses that go to Meguro Terminal.

It also depends on what details you're into. For example, in recent years, passenger flights have been flying extremely low above Meguro and Osaki Stations. I don't know if you want to avoid that or if you prefer it. There are a lot of other factors like green parks, museums (if so, what kind), groceries for expats, more local down-to-earth markets, public swimming pools, movies, nightlife and so on.

Anyway, you have plenty of options around Meguro Station. Have fun with Street Views and Image Searches. Meanwhile, I happened to come across a blog:
https://resources.realestate.co.jp/area-guide/meguro-guide/
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Meguro area living costs and taxes 2024/4/19 07:42
Regarding salary from experiences Ifd say youfll take home about 1,1+ million yen per month. More in the first year as you donft pay some taxes in that year. Depending if your partner has work or not there might be some further tax discounts.

This is a very comfortable salary to live on in 1-2 persons (it would be comfortable for an entire family).

Housing, well it depends on what you want. Ie close to office? Nice neighborhood? Big house? Small 1 family house? Apartment in a tower block? With your salary except the most exclusive places you can afford essentially anything in Tokyo that you like. Probably a reasonable amount for 2 people to spend on rent with your salary is around 250 k Yen /month. (Which for most people in Tokyo is a very high rent). But at that price point you can find newly build apartments in sought after areas or a small house in a quaint yet central residential neighborhood.

Ifd browse around on https://suumo.jp/kanto/ or https://www.homes.co.jp/smp/re/ to get an idea.

With your salary also some relocation assistance might come. I remember my company offered that when I moved here. And there was an advisor you wanted to help me finding an apartment. (I didnft use their service as I knew what I wanted as I had been living here before)

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Meguro area living costs and taxes 2024/4/20 00:25
Thatfs great to know thank you very much!
by Sen77 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread