Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Tax refund rules 2024/5/7 10:45
I see that the tax exempt stores requires purchases above 5,000 yen per day.

Does this apply to the claim at the airport? I like to travel around Japan getting various snacks from different cities/prefectures. Can I combine the various receipts to reach above 5,000 yen or must they all be from the same store, same day?
by Joshua Hugh  

Re: Tax refund rules 2024/5/7 18:07
One purchase.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Tax refund rules 2024/5/8 16:40
A refund for snacks? You have to physically take the items out of the country. You cannot get a refund for something consumed in Japan (like a 5000 yen bottle of whiskey.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Tax refund rules 2024/5/9 05:40
There is no claim at the airport. Japan does it differently from other countries. Although they are thinking about changing the process.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Tax refund rules 2024/5/9 15:06
Thanks all for the replies. So it doesnft happen at the airport. Understand.

Yes, snacks. Omiyage stores sells biscuits, jellies, manju, yatsuhashi. Some ryokans sells them too.
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

Re: Tax refund rules 2024/5/10 13:57
Donft expect every purchase over a certain amount to be tax free. The seller has to be participating in the tax free program. Stores that do will usually have very clear (usually red) signs letting you know.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Tax refund rules 2024/5/10 15:25
Now that you mention what kind of snack/sweets you are thinking about, please be mindful for the gbest byh dates for things like gmanjuh and gyatsuhashi.h

Duty free shops like Don Quixote sell snacks, and if you want to buy there and enjoy the duty-free benefits, they will put all your snack purchases into a big plastic bag, which needs to remain sealed until youfve left Japan.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread