Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Hokuriku Arch pass and Shiga access 2024/5/10 05:17
I thought I had the Hokuriku arch pass figured out.. but a bit confused still.

Looking at this map, https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/hokuriku-arch-pass/images/in...

It looks like there is a connection going to Kusatsu station. Before that station and on the same line, is Maibara station.

Is there an express train that goes that way? The one that I know is Limited Express Shirasagi, but I can't find confirmation if this is covered by the Hokuriku arch pass.

Any info or clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
by f31roger  

Re: Hokuriku Arch pass and Shiga access 2024/5/10 16:15
Is there an express train that goes that way? The one that I know is Limited Express Shirasagi, but I can't find confirmation if this is covered by the Hokuriku arch pass.

What way? I am not quite clear from where you are coming (Nagoya? Kanazawa? Kansai?) In any case: yes, the Shirasagi is covered between Tsuruga and Maibara. An alternative coverage map with Biwako can be viewed here:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_arch.html

by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hokuriku Arch pass and Shiga access 2024/5/11 04:59
Hello, Thanks for the reply.

With the Hokuriku arch pass, I only hear about the Thunderbird (which goes along the West side of Lake Biwa). I seen Japan-Guide's map as well as JR West's map (the one I linked), but I just couldn't find information about it.

Even in those links, there was no mention of Shirasagi Limited Express. Even on the JR Hokuriku Arch pass page (https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/hokuriku-arch-pass/)
They only mention the Thunderbird Limited Express.

I know most people are mentioning Kyoto/Osaka to Kanazawa or vice versa, but no mention of going around the East side of Lake Biwa and again, I couldn't find any info online.

I usually get the JR Pass, but this is the 1st time I'm getting a regional pass and trying to make sure I know the limitations.

Thanks
by f31roger rate this post as useful

Re: Hokuriku Arch pass and Shiga access 2024/5/11 05:53
All maps show both side of the lakes as included.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokuriku Arch pass and Shiga access 2024/5/11 08:31
If you click on "Detailed usage area route map(PDF)" on the JR West page for the Hokuriku Arch pass (which you linked), you can see all the stations that are covered by the pass.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Hokuriku Arch pass and Shiga access 2024/5/12 16:38
Yea, I see the Kusatsu station in the map, but even with the covered "conventional lines", there is no mention of the Limited Express Shirasagi anywhere, so that is why I was asking.

I figured the local trains were covered, but wasn't sure about the limited express.

But it's been answered now. Thanks.
by f31roger rate this post as useful

Re: Hokuriku Arch pass and Shiga access 2024/5/12 17:02
Shirasagi service doesn't go past Kuratsu. I comes from Nagoya via Maibara (not in valisity area), then onto Tsuruga,
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokuriku Arch pass and Shiga access 2024/5/12 20:06
You already know that Shirasagi trains run through
Tsuruga -- Maibara.
You have located this section, on the east side of Lake Biwa.

In the official source (= the JR-West website)
for Hokuriku Arch Pass:
(a) On the valid area map, you see this section Tsuruga -- Maibara.
(b) The description of valid Limited Express trains goes
"HARUKA, THUNDERBIRD,etc.";
here "etc." implies that these are not the all examples.
(c) Shirasagi is not listed among the trains which cannot be used with this pass.

The above information sounds enough for readers to believe
that holders of valid Hokuriku Arch Pass can take Limited Express Shirasagi trains for Tsuruga -- Maibara freely.

There is a way to confirm this, to make sure.
(1) You click the link following "Click here" then a window appears.
(2) In the window there is a chart to show trains fully with seats requiring reservation and passes which are applicable.
(3) The chart clearly shows that Hokuriku Arch Pass is applicable between Tsuruga and Maibara on Limited Express Shirasagi.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread